RSO Children’s services POSITIVE stories?!

Rubyshoes

RSO Children’s services POSITIVE stories?!

Post by Rubyshoes » Sat Jul 25, 2020 8:17 pm

Everything I search is so negative. I’ve been told by PSO and SS that there are people who are on the SOR and lead relatively normal lives. But I’m yet to find anything but scary stories of ex partners going to custody, never having a normal life again etc... google is driving me mad and I can’t bare it anymore!

swim

Re: RSO Children’s services POSITIVE stories?!

Post by swim » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:48 am

We got a good social worker after a lot of complaining (but complained straight to the manager of social services - not just the childrens social services manager).

Our story isn't a positive one, but try to remember all those who has a positive experience will not use this site, or post their experiences online - SS involvement isn't something you advertise, even when they've been really helpful. So try to remember the internet has a 'negativity bias' ...plus you may consider thousands of CIN cases happen every year without people coming up with horror stories. Notice what is missing rather than what is there and it may give you some solice.

It may also comfort you to read up on the guidelines so you feel you know what is acceptable and unacceptable behaviour by social workers and how the whole thing works. Start off looking up "Social Work England" and their standards of practice. Read "working together to safeguard children" and "the framework for the assesment of children in need and their families" by the department of health. Also, each council is required to publish their policies and proceedures online - so if you google "proceedures online [council name]" you can see exactly what they are supposed to be following and can call them up on it if need be."

Our final social worker deserves a medal in my opinion, it's just a shame she came onto the scene too late!

PerfectlySafeDad

Re: RSO Children’s services POSITIVE stories?!

Post by PerfectlySafeDad » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:25 pm

Our story isn't a positive one, but try to remember all those who has a positive experience will not use this site, or post their experiences online - SS involvement isn't something you advertise, even when they've been really helpful. So try to remember the internet has a 'negativity bias - that's worth remembering yes.
if you google "proceedures online [council name]" you can see exactly what they are supposed to be following and can call them up on it if need be." - very interesting. Wonder how easy it is in practice to call them up on anything though. For a start, as always, you'd have to have the tenacity to be kept on hold on the phone repeated numbers of times for long times, and be dealing with personnel who are there on day absent the next or don't even exist (and be made to feel this is your error), and other staff who don't have the faintest who you are. Then you have to have the assertiveness to explain yourself to the thick-skinned wall of 'professionalism' on the other end, and not get upset (lest you be further blacklisted as aggressive or unstable or narcissistic etc). Or you just write or email (not sure about that), and wait weeks for the response, if it doesn't get 'lost' in the system.