SS Parenting Assessment

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2020 6:38 pm

SS Parenting Assessment

Post by foolishyouth » Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:16 pm

Good morning everyone!
I am a non-resident parent. My ex and I have a son together and she has had a Parenting Assessment completed by SS as part of an escalation to Child In Need. I have attended the meetings etc and have my child regularly but have been told I can't see the parenting assessment.
My question is whether I have a right to see the assessment, and if I do, how do I go about it? According to the Social Worker I shouldn't be able to see it as it is personal for My ex and her partner, although if it is about parenting then surely I should have access to this as it affects our son.

If anyone has any advice with this it would be much appreciated.

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 2781
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

Re: SS Parenting Assessment

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:22 pm

Dear foolishyouth

Welcome to the parents’ discussion board and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie, FRG’s online adviser. I am sorry not to have replied to you sooner.

You care for your son regularly although he lives with his mother. There is a child in need plan in place and you are actively involved in the child in need meetings and process.

As part of the child in need plan your son’s mother has had a parenting assessment which you would like to have a copy of, as it relates to how she parents your son. As the social worker has said that you are not entitled to a copy you are wondering what your rights are to this information.

I can understand why you would want to have a copy but I think that the social worker is justified in saying that the full assessment is personal to your son’s mother and therefore she cannot share it with you (presumably unless your son’s mother consented to the information being shared with you). Your son is a child in need at the moment; this is a voluntary process and he has not been assessed to be at risk of significant harm so I don’t think you would have an argument to make that you should be provided with your ex-partner’s parenting assessment.

However, the best thing to do may be to ask the social worker to confirm in writing the reasons why she is not able to let you see a copy of the document (and provide you with a copy of any relevant policy) and if she has any suggestions about how to keep you as informed as possible.

You could also ask that consideration is given to sharing (with consent) any relevant conclusion or any specific information that you need to know in order to assist you in caring for your son to help you and his mother fully meet your son's needs.

You might find our advice sheet on access to information held by children’s services helpful; this includes information and contact details for the Information Commissioner who you can contact with queries about information sharing.

I hope this helps.

With best wishes


Post Reply