Help needed please

It's a sad day

Help needed please

Post by It's a sad day » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:19 am

I am 1 of 2 on an SGO for our daughter, me and my partner have split and he has cut me off totally. What are my right as part of the sgo and is there anything I can do to get this issue resolved before I involve the courts. Many thanks.

Robin D

Re: Help needed please

Post by Robin D » Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:48 am

Hi. So sorry to hear your news.

You don't say if the child is with you or your partner. However you have joint PR of you are both Special Guardians. However, the least painful way out of the situation for you all is by negotiation. Going back to court ought to be a last resort. Try Relate first and if they can't help, see if you can find a family law firm locally who offer mediation.

Whatever happens all the adults should keep the needs of the child central in their thoughts.

Good luck.
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

It's a sad day

Post by It's a sad day » Mon Nov 27, 2023 12:14 pm

She is living with my partner, I have tried contacting his solicitors and been ignored by all of them.

Robin D

Post by Robin D » Tue Nov 28, 2023 6:15 am

I would try Relate https://www.relate.org.uk/what-we-do/co ... ounselling first. If they are unable to make contact and help, you probably need a solicitor yourself. Make sure they are on the Children Panel. Look at https://solicitors.lawsociety.org.uk/?Pro=True and select children as the 'Area of Practice.'

If you are being denied any contact with the child, the Children's Services team who placed her initially may well want to help as you have clearly been a key person in the child's life and the sudden loss of you may be very traumatic to the child.
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Dec 01, 2023 5:36 pm

It's a sad day wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 10:19 am I am 1 of 2 on an SGO for our daughter, me and my partner have split and he has cut me off totally. What are my right as part of the sgo and is there anything I can do to get this issue resolved before I involve the courts. Many thanks.
Dear It’s a sad day,

Thank you for posting again. I am sorry to see that following separation from your partner and fellow special guardian there are difficulties regarding contact and involvement with the child in question.

You have had helpful advice from another poster about engaging with counselling and mediation.

If you are unable to resolve the issues through the above services, then you may have no alternative but to have the family court involved. You may find it helpful to speak with Child Law Advice on 0300 300 5480 as they advise on private family law issues where a person does not have legal representation.

You may also find it helpful to read our advice sheet for special guardians for more information.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes

Suzie