Financial help

JE23089

Financial help

Post by JE23089 » Wed Sep 13, 2023 5:22 pm

Hi
I have my 14 yr old Granddaughter living with me for the last 3 mths, she is on a child in need plan and has a social worker. The reason she is living with us is because she does n't get on with her moms partner and social worker is saying she can't be left alone with her mom partner and has told me that, but her mom is happy for her to stay with us and gives us her family allowance most weeks.
I was wondering if we could apply for any financial help has my husband works full time and I work part time, I have been told about private kinship caters but I don't know how this works.
If anyone out they could give us some advise I would be really grateful x

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Financial help

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Sep 22, 2023 5:09 pm

Dear JE23089

Welcome to the family and friends’ carers’ discussion board. Thank you for your post. My name is Suzie. I am Family Rights Group’s online adviser. I am sorry that there has been a delay in replying to your post.

You are a kinship carer for your 14 year old granddaughter, who has a child in need plan. There are concerns about her being left alone with her mother’s partner. Has there been a child protection investigation ? And did her social worker ask you to care for her, or facilitate her coming to live with you in any way?

The reason I am asking these questions is to try to clarify if you can make an argument that you should be treated as a kinship foster carer. It sounds as if children’s services are treating this as a private family arrangement. If they have no role in arranging for a child to stay with a relative then they do not have a duty to pay an allowance etc. However, they can provide financial support, if assessed to be necessary, under their child in need (Section 17) budget. They seldom do this though.

I am putting a link here to a summary of the different types of kinship care arrangements that exist.

It may be a good idea for you to call the freephone advice line on 0808 8010366 (Mon to Fri, 9.30 am to 3.00 pm) to discuss your situation in more detail. Or post back clarifying the above queries and we can provide more detailed advice.

In the meantime, I am attaching a link to our template letter (4) which can be amended and used if you think that your granddaughter was placed with you or if children’s services would not agree to her returning home.

You may also find that the advice sheets below will be useful:

Welfare benefits for kinship carers
The Education system in England: information for kinship carers
Special Guardianship: an introduction
DIY Child Arrangements Orders: information for kinship carers.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Suzie