How to explain day to day care?

JCU25

How to explain day to day care?

Post by JCU25 » Sat Mar 18, 2023 10:07 pm

Dear all,

I have previously posted here - following the court hearing, the court ordered I set out my proposals for future day to day care and this is due very soon but my solicitor has not yet received legal aid and hence won't help me.

They also refused an ISW assessment and said they'd review at the final hearing but this is unlikely to be done due to delays as they case has gone on for a long time.

I'm unsure how to write or structure it nor what they want me to explain. I think this is my final shot to show that I can take care of him. Please help.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: How to explain day to day care?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Mar 20, 2023 3:13 pm

Dear JCU25,

Thank you for your further post. I am sorry to hear that due to the delay in receiving legal aid funding your solicitor is unable to support you with this. You ask for advice on how to structure your proposals to the court as to how you would manage day to day care if you were to become the primary carer for your nephew.

I am unable to provide detailed advice regarding how you should structure your proposals but in general I would suggest that you keep your proposals concise and format the document so that it is easy for the court to read (for example by using headings, bullet points, numbering paragraphs, a clear font and double spacing the lines). From the information you have given it seems that you would need to outline your proposals regarding the practicalities of the day to day life of caring for a young child. This could include your proposals regarding the living arrangements, your nephew’s educational needs, his health needs, his care needs (for example would someone else need to look after him whilst you were working – who would this be and how often would this happen?) and how you would manage your finances. If you would need to make changes to your own day to day life then you should outline what these changes would be and how you propose to achieve these.

I have also found some guides which may be helpful for you to read through as they may give you some ideas and guidance.

Rights of Women have a guide to preparing witness statements for the Family Court which can be found HERE. Child Law Advice have guide to writing a position statement which can be found HERE.

CAFCASS have a guide to preparing a parenting plan which can be found HERE. This could be useful in helping you think about the day to day realities of caring for a child (particularly on p.22 of the example parenting plan which can be downloaded from the website).

For further advice you could consider contacting Support Through Court. They are unable to give legal advice but a Support Through Court volunteer can explain how the court works and help with paperwork.

Child Law Advice have an adviceline on 0300 330 5480 which I would suggest you contact as they may also be able to offer some advice and guidance.

Finally, given the urgency of the timescales I would also suggest that you contact your solicitor to ask them to chase up the legal aid agency and to highlight the impending deadline.

I hope that this is of some help,
Best wishes,
Suzie