starting assessments

AuntieK

starting assessments

Post by AuntieK » Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:55 pm

I have been approached by my nephews social worker about taking my nephews long term. They are 6 and 2. they have been through a real hard time, as they have been living with their maternal grandparents for 18months, however sadly their grandmother has passed away and social worker now feels this is not an option.
I have always been there as an option for respite if theybhave ever needed it.
I have agreed to go through the checks and assessments. What shall i expect?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: starting assessments

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:36 pm

Dear AuntieK
Welcome to Family Rights Group kinship discussion forum and thank you for posting.
My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group and will be responding to your posts. I see that you have posted twice but regarding the same matter. You have been approached by children’s services and have agreed to be assessed as a long term carer for your nephews aged 6 and 2.

Very sadly the children’s maternal grandmother has passed away and it is not considered appropriate that they remain living where they have for the last 18 months. It is not clear from the posts if the maternal grandparents were caring for the children as foster carers or if they had an order which gave them parental responsibility for the children. The orders they could have are special guardianship order or a child arrangement order that the children live with them. If they were acting as long-term foster carers then, this would mean that the local authority has a care order and are responsible for the children. The mother and father (if he has parental responsibility) would still have parental responsibility for the children but not able to exercise this to make decisions about where the children live or whom they can see. They would be kept informed by children’s services and are able to express their views about whatever is proposed by children’s services.

Depending on the status of the children, if under care orders then the assessment could be for you to be a kinship foster carer. If not, then the assessment is probably for you to become a special guardian which would also mean an application to the court for a special guardianship order. If the maternal grandparents had an order giving them parental responsibility, then the children would not be ‘looked after’ children. That is, in the care of the local authority under a care order or a voluntary agreement from someone with parental responsibility, the maternal grandparent(s) in this situation. The distinction is important because payment of an allowance would be discretionary if not looked after before an order is made in your favour.

You asked what you can expect from an assessment. It will be a very in depth assessment which can be intrusive as it will look at your background and that of your husband or partner. Any other adult in the home would also be background checked. The assessor will ask questions about your history, with your own parents, how you parented your own child or children, if any. Your medical history will also be relevant. You may find it, as I said, very intrusive.

Children’s services would carry out a financial assessment looking at your finances. As a foster carer you would be paid a fostering allowance at the rate set by the local authority responsible for the children. These do have a minimum level set by the government but in some instances a foster can receive more depending on the needs of the children.

Regarding your question in your second post regarding financial assistance, you should inform the social worker or the person doing your assessment what you consider is necessary for you to be able to look after the children. This includes the expenses you foresee such as those mentioned in your post.

To help you understand the different scenarios of caring for your nephews I have included links to our website for your in relation to children in care under a court order care order , as well as other helpful information voluntary arrangement , special guardianship , child arrangement orders and kinship foster care

I hope you will find this information helpful and, should you wish to speak with one of our experienced adviser, you can telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).

Best wishes

Suzie