Interim care order grandparents

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon May 02, 2022 1:14 pm

Interim care order grandparents

Post by Summer » Wed May 04, 2022 3:07 pm

We have been looking after our grandchild for over two years due to parents mental health drug use and domestic violence from his mother towards his father. Our grandson has just turned 15 and out of the blue has asked to go back and live with one or other of his parents. He also has long term health conditions and requires regular hospital visits.
The situation is still chaotic and we are due back to court at end of May. We have tried so hard to make him feel loved and safe and able to see friends etc. our biggest fear is if the court sends him back he will want to return to us within a few days and with a court order this may not be possible. We currently have a lived with care order. Does anyone have any advice ?

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 824
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

Re: Interim care order grandparents

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon May 09, 2022 11:29 am

Dear Summer,

Welcome to the kinship carers’ forum and thank you for your post. I am sorry to hear about the difficulties that you and your family have experienced. You say that your grandson has said that he wishes to return back to the care of one of his parents but you are concerned about this.

From the information you have given I’m unclear as to whether a care order is in place or if you have a Child Arrangements Order or perhaps a Special Guardianship Order? Could you clarify this with me? The process will be different depending on what kind of order is in place currently. It would also be helpful to know what hearing you have at the end of May.

Regardless of the kind of order that is currently in place the court will take your grandson’s wishes and feelings seriously when making a decision about who he is to live with. However they will ultimately come to a decision that they believe to be in his best interests, even if this goes against his wishes. They will consider (amongst other things) his physical, emotional and educational needs, any harm he is at risk of suffering and how capable his parents would be of meeting his needs. If children’s services or CAFCASS are involved then the court will ask them for their recommendations regarding this.

I hope that this is of some help. Please post again if you would like any further advice or you can call our free, confidential helpline on 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday, 9:30am – 3pm) to speak with an adviser.

Best wishes,

Post Reply

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 242 on Sat May 16, 2020 6:47 am