withdrawing application for SGO

farmersboy

withdrawing application for SGO

Post by farmersboy » Wed May 04, 2022 1:08 pm

An unusual request for help, how do you withdraw an application for an SGO? When I contacted the court, they said they were not trained to give me that information! My grandson has been living with us for nearly 3 years now, we applied for an SGO in November 2020. Social services have caused it to be delayed 3 times. The 2 sets of parents have opposed it all the way. Although my grandson will continue to live with us, we can't cope with the stress and hostility any more. All the court would tell me, was that we have to make an application to the court, but not how. All the on-line information refers to how to overturn an SGO but not our problem.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: withdrawing application for SGO

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue May 10, 2022 9:17 am

Dear famersboy,

Welcome to the kinship carers’ forum and thank you for your post. You would like to know how to withdraw an application for a special guardianship order.

You will need to get the court’s permission to withdraw your application. To do so you can either make the request orally if the parties are present at court (if you have a hearing coming up soon this may be a good option). Or you can make the request in writing setting out the reason in Form C2.

If the request is made with the consent of the parties in writing and the children’s guardian has had an opportunity to make representations and the court thinks fit it may grant the request. The court will then notify the relevant people including the local authority. If the application to withdraw is not made by consent it will be listed for hearing on at least seven days notice.

I hope that this is helpful. If you have any further queries then please post again or you can call our free, confidential helpline on 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday, 9:30am – 3pm) to speak with an adviser.

Best wishes,
Suzie