Requesting new social worker

DevonRose

Requesting new social worker

Post by DevonRose » Wed Mar 09, 2022 12:29 pm

Hi all,

This is my first post and I couldn't work out which forum to post in, so thought I would try here, sorry if it is the wrong one.

We have been looking after our niece for a year and a half now and our latest social worker (who I can only say before she decided to resign was fantastic). She had such a good rapport with our niece who we are looking to get SG for.

Yesterday we met her replacement, and the third social worker in this time, and the meeting has just left me in tears since. Never have I met such a distant, uninterested and couldn't wait to leave social worker in my life. I had to watch my nieces face drop when she realised the lack of interest and rapport that this new lady showed. The previous SW had really built a relationship on trust which meant that disclosures were made to her that not even we had heard. The confidence of our niece was astounding when with the previous SW.

We have the two week final hearing very shortly, but mum is pushing for a section something to try and extend what has already been a year and a half proceedings to the Autumn without a care in the world for the damage it could do.

My panic now obviously, is going forward six months with a SW who literally cannot be bothered.

My question is...can we request a new one? Or will it rock the boat... The LA supports our niece living with us, but I'm not sure what role this new SW will play.

I've tried numerous emails and calls in the past month to her with no responses which I was willing to let slide until I had met her face to face which of course went awful. It's my poor niece who I am worried about, it takes so little for her to clam up, and she is very intelligent and can detect when someone is disinterested. It's so upsetting.

Would appreciate anyone's thoughts? as we were thrown into all this unexpectedly over a year ago and still don't really know full protocols.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Requesting new social worker

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:30 am

Dear Devon Rose

Welcome to the Kinship Carers’ forum and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie and I am Family Rights Group’s online adviser. I am sorry to hear of the difficulties your niece has experienced.

My understanding is that you are currently caring for your niece as a kinship foster carer and the local authority supports you as her long-term carer, if her mother is not successful in having her daughter returned to your care. Your niece had a very positive relationship with her social worker who has now unfortunately left and she has been replaced by a new social worker who to date has been unresponsive; she also did not engage well with you or your niece at her first visit. You are wondering if you can ask for a change of social worker but are concerned that this might have a negative impact on the court proceedings with a final hearing due shortly. However, it is possible this may be deferred if your niece’s mother’s application to do so is successful.

I am sorry to hear that your/your niece’s relationship with her new social worker has got off to a bad start. You can ask for a new social worker and can make a complaint if you have any serious concerns about her practice. However, children’s services do not have to change the social worker and in fact may be quite reluctant to do so as your niece’s situation is being decided upon by the family court and there has already been a number of social workers involved. If you decide to complain you can find out more about how to do it here.

You might find these tips on working with a social worker helpful. If you can develop a better working relationship with your niece’s social worker, with the help of their manager if necessary, then the communication between you may improve. If you obtain a Special Guardianship Order for your niece it is unlikely that children’s services’ involvement will last for too long because once you have parental responsibility and the court makes an order or recommendation around contact the case my close soon after.

I hope this helps.

If you would like further advice or want to talk your situation through with an adviser then please call the freephone helpline on 0808 8010366 during our opening hours of 9.30 am to 3.00 pm, from Monday to Friday or post again in this forum – it is the right one for you as a kinship carer.

Best wishes

Suzie