Kinship foster assessment

Alibaba

Kinship foster assessment

Post by Alibaba » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:12 pm

Hello, I have just started my assessment and I don't think I will pass. I have a history of anxiety and bipolar.
I have brought up my children worked full time and have gone to my gp if I needed support.
This is bring scrutinised and the foster assessor has zoned in on it meticulously.
She has made a report that quite frankly is am exaggeration and quite rude, she obviously has taken a dislike to me by the way she worded the report.
It has her assumptions of me, she said I was manipulative when I disagreed with her.
If I fail this assesment is there nothing I can do. Is there anything else I can apply for.

I am so upset

DB182

Re: Kinship foster assessment

Post by DB182 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:59 pm

Hi I hope this helps alittle...if you fail the assessment. You need to challenge the local authority’s decision as soon as possible. To do this you will need to inform the child's allocated social worker and copy in their manger. There's a template letter on the Top Tips and Templates page on this website for people who want to challenge a negative initial viability assessment.

If the child is looked after in the care system you will also need to inform the Independent Reviewing Officer. If Care Proceedings
have started in the family court then you can send a copy of the letter to the court too.

Good luck

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:18 pm

Alibaba wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:12 pm Hello, I have just started my assessment and I don't think I will pass. I have a history of anxiety and bipolar.
I have brought up my children worked full time and have gone to my gp if I needed support.
This is bring scrutinised and the foster assessor has zoned in on it meticulously.
She has made a report that quite frankly is am exaggeration and quite rude, she obviously has taken a dislike to me by the way she worded the report.
It has her assumptions of me, she said I was manipulative when I disagreed with her.
If I fail this assesment is there nothing I can do. Is there anything else I can apply for.

I am so upset
Dear Alibaba

Thank you for posting again. It appears that since your first post, earlier in December, when you said you had a negative viability assessment that your challenge was successful as you are now having a further assessment.

It is not clear from your post what assessment if being done now. I am assuming it is a full in-depth assessment. Is this being done by in independent social worker? Did the court say should have a further assessment or did children’s services decide themselves to do a further assessment after you challenged the negative viability assessment?

However, the further assessment came about, I think it is a very positive step. You should cooperate with the assessment and ensure that you show that your main concern is the best interests and welfare of your grandson. The assessment should look at you now and even though you have a diagnosed mental health condition, provided it is managed, that would not be the only reason for a negative assessment.

I suggest you try to see the positives and work with the person assessing you in an open and honest way to get the best outcome for you and your family. Has the family had a family group conference which would be a way for other family and friends to indicate what support they can offer your daughter and or you in caring for your grandchild. There is information here about family group conferences.
I also suggest that you read again the information in the response to your first post of 15 December 2021.

I suggest you concentrate on the assessment in a positive way rather than thinking it is going to be negative. Should the assessment be negative then you can consider what further steps you can take at that time.

You can speak with one of Family Rights Group advisers by telephoning our free and confidential advice line on 0808 808 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).

I hope this helps

Best wishes

Suzie

Alibaba

Post by Alibaba » Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:17 pm

Hello, can I ask how long an interim care order lasts, I was told it can go on and on.
There is a second court date coming up in Feb
What is that one for.
Can they keep asking for extensions?

Cupcake1

Post by Cupcake1 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:42 am

Hi Alibaba
I completely understand how you feel. My SGO was positive right up till the last minute and they changed it. I was so upset but I challenged them in court and was successful in getting an independent assessment done. This was found to be positive.
Unfortunately some social workers own unconscious bias and prejudice cloud their thinking. Personality clashes do happen, I'm not sure if you can request a different social worker to complete your assessment.
I wish you all the luck in the world, it is quite stressful. I hope you have a good network of family and friends to help you through.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Feb 01, 2022 1:01 pm

Alibaba wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:17 pm Hello, can I ask how long an interim care order lasts, I was told it can go on and on.
There is a second court date coming up in Feb
What is that one for.
Can they keep asking for extensions?
Dear Alibaba

In answer to your questions about interim care orders, please read, from page 28 of this document called Court orders and pre-proceedings.

The structure of the court process can be seen in this document called the Public Law Outline Flowchart .

Information about extending court cases is in the document above. I hope it is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie