Foster carer to special guardian

Su23

Foster carer to special guardian

Post by Su23 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:54 pm

Hi. I am looking for some advice around my situation. I am currently fostering a baby (my children’s half sister). She has been placed with me on an interim care order and I’m currently going through the fostering application. Her parents do not want to be assessed to care for her and there are no other connections. The social care team have briefly discussed applying for an SGO and I am wondering how this would work financially. I currently receive child tax credit for my youngest as he needs childcare. Baby will be going to nursery full time which the LA are covering (for now). I am a single parent and just worry about the cost of childcare and school etc in the future. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

jillybee40

Re: Foster carer to special guardian

Post by jillybee40 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:17 pm

Hi what a whirl I was in when I was at that stage- fostering then I got an SGO-everything new, determined but a little daunted. I don't really have your answer other than, there could be a fostering payment to help you along and if you get a SGO you can ask if you'd be entitled to it, I would imagine you would but I'm not sure.
I wish you and your family well and hope you get that little help as it's not easy financially with any family :)

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Foster carer to special guardian

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:45 pm

Su23 wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:54 pm Hi. I am looking for some advice around my situation. I am currently fostering a baby (my children’s half sister). She has been placed with me on an interim care order and I’m currently going through the fostering application. Her parents do not want to be assessed to care for her and there are no other connections. The social care team have briefly discussed applying for an SGO and I am wondering how this would work financially. I currently receive child tax credit for my youngest as he needs childcare. Baby will be going to nursery full time which the LA are covering (for now). I am a single parent and just worry about the cost of childcare and school etc in the future. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dear Su23

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Board.

Here is some information that may help you in relation to the fostering assessment you are currently going through.

Regarding Special Guardianship Orders (SGOs), we have an advice sheet which gives you practical and financial information, you can read it here. Here too is advice about welfare benefits for kinship carers – it has a paragraph about child tax credits.

As a part of the process to become a special guardian an assessment ‘must’ be completed (including financial) you should ask about the things (items, support, or help) you require to meet the child’s needs. Here is our advice sheet about special guardianship orders in care proceedings. If you decide that a Special Guardianship Order is the way forward, may I ‘strongly suggest’ that you seek legal advice – see page 10 of the advice sheet, it will tell you how to approach this.

We have a guide about initial family and friends care assessments, do have a brief read of it (if you have the time) you may be able to use it as a tool comparing your current experiences to its suggestions/advice.

If you would like to speak to an adviser on our confidential advice service, the lines are open Monday to Friday, 9.30am to 3.00pm on 0808 801 0366.

Best wishes

Suzie