My three grandchildren have been placed into care because a bruise on her arm which was received care of a bite from her

Blastbutt

My three grandchildren have been placed into care because a bruise on her arm which was received care of a bite from her

Post by Blastbutt » Tue Oct 13, 2020 7:29 pm

Back in July my son, his girlfriend and three small grandchildren were told they had to reside at my daughters address even though she has 5kids living in a three bedroom house nearly all her kids have ADHD. Now my daughters 4 year old daughter has bitten my sons three years old daughter on her arm my sons three kids have been placed in care. This has happened even though my wife and I have said they can come to our house. A viability assessment took place today. The social services said the house was acceptable but they still can’t come until the police have investigated. Nobody is listening to my wife and I. We need help and advice please.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: My three grandchildren have been placed into care because a bruise on her arm which was received care of a bite from

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:50 am

Dear Blastbutt

Welcome to Family Rights Group’s family and friend carers’ discussion board and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie and I am an online adviser. I am sorry that I was not able to respond to your post sooner. I am very sorry to hear about the difficulties your family is experiencing.

It is not clear why your son, his partner and their children had to move in with his sister and her children. Was this as part of a child protection plan? I do understand your concerns that the home was crowded with 8 children it seems, some of whom have additional needs due to having ADHD.

In the meantime, your three year old grandson has been bitten, you state that his four year old cousin did this. Your son’s three children have now been placed in care. Is there a concern that the explanation given for the bite-mark is not consistent with the injury? You also mention a police investigation which suggests that they are investigating whether a crime may have been committed.

If children’s services are worried that your grandson’s injury may be non-accidental you may find the following websites helpful:

Child protection resource online: information about non-accidental injury
child protection resource online: common concerns we hear from parents when the social worker tells me my child has been hurt
parents accused.co.uk

I hope that your son and his partner have instructed solicitors (preferably with children law accreditation) to represent them. They are entitled to legal aid for this in care proceedings – if the case is now in court. The parents should seek clarification from their solicitors about the case and they can discuss with their solicitors their wishes for you to care for the children (if that is what they want) and how this can be put to the court.

Your main concern is that the children were not placed with you initially – despite the fact that you put yourselves forward. Children’s services can place children with relatives who are temporarily approved as foster carers under regulation 24. This was not done and I think the children were instead placed with unrelated foster carers.

You have had a viability assessment today. Here is a guide to viability assessments which explains more about this.

The most important thing is that you receive a copy and the outcome of the viability assessment as soon as possible. Did the social worker tell you how soon they would let you know? It should be very soon as it is a brief assessment process. If it is positive then you will have a much more thorough assessment probably a combined assessment for family and friends foster care and Special Guardianship. Here are our advice sheets on each which will explain more about what is involved: family and friends care: becoming a foster carer and DIY SGO for family and friends carers.

If for any reason the viability assessment was negative then please see the advice about what you can do to respond or challenge this in the guide provided above - pages 40 and 41.

You should also have a look at this advice sheet on care proceedings ; it also includes a section on what you can do as relatives.

I know that you are very anxious for the children to be placed with you as soon as possible. The social worker has said that the police investigation has to happen first. You can ask them to explain more about this but as mentioned previously the children’s parents can also seek clarity about this from their solicitor as well as children’s services. Children’s Services know that they have a legal duty to place looked after children with relatives (who are temporarily approved as foster carers) before placing them with unrelated carers but this must be consistent with the children’s welfare. At the moment due to the police investigation they may believe it is not consistent with their welfare.

Family and friends fostering is usually the best way, initially, for relatives to be able to care for children who are subject to care proceedings as it means that you get support (including financial) as foster carers and it helps with future support if you do go on to care for the children permanently (if their parents cannot).

However you could also consider applying for parental responsibility yourself. You would need to be joined to the court proceedings to do so; you could apply for an interim child arrangements order or special guardianship order (you cannot apply for a temporary SGO).

You may already know the outcome of the viability assessment by now. You are welcome to provide an update with any new queries or if you prefer you can ring the Freephone helpline to speak to an adviser – the number is 0808 8010366 and it is open from 9.30 am to 3.00 pm, Mon to Fri.

I hope this is helpful

With best wishes

Suzie