kinship assessment questions

suncloud

kinship assessment questions

Post by suncloud » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:18 am

Hi as an older grandparent trying to be assessed to be the kinship carer of my two grandchildren has anyone else been asked about what happens if you die as you are older. Who would look after the children then? This seems a very difficult question to answer as anyone can die at any time and yes it might be more likely if you are older but it is very hard to say in the future who could look after the children if that happened.
Any advice on this subject appreciated please.

Robin D

Re: kinship assessment questions

Post by Robin D » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:45 am

We put arrangements into our wills should both of us die or become incapacitated specifying our preference for who should look after the child. The child is now 23 so no longer relevant. All they will want to know is that you have thought about it and have a plan agreed to provide for the child, or even to give you support as you age.

Robin
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

suncloud

Post by suncloud » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:31 am

Thanks for that Robin, I have definitely thought about but it seemed unreasonable to project in the future as regards suitable people as things change a lot! I am 70yrs old so am not feeling too positive about getting guardianship as the children are young but I have to do everything I can to keep these beautiful ones in the family and not go to strangers!

Robin D

Post by Robin D » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:58 am

I agree it can be difficult, but talk to family and friends in the next generation you can trust and ask them if the worst happened at any point in the next 20 years, would they take care of the grandchildren, or help you to do so. Not an easy conversation, but at our age, you need to do it. Ask also if they would consider having the children for a week or two in the holidays to give you a break and give you a chance to recharge your batteries. That's not committing them because as you say, things will change over time, but the fact that you can demonstrate that support is/or will be available, given best intentions, then you will get Brownie points.
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

suncloud

Post by suncloud » Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:12 pm

Following on The Judge has agreed to a hearing to look at whether I can have an assessment or not. I have sent a statement but does anyone know what sort of questions will be asked. Feeling quite nervous.