Kinship assessment advice

SHC99

Kinship assessment advice

Post by SHC99 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:38 pm

hi everyone.

I was just wondering what reasons would the kinship assessment be negative? On what sort of basis could ss turn you down?

My 2 year old niece was took off her mother in February. She lived with her granny until a week ago then she then came into my care. My brother (nieces dad) and the mother have a lot of issue surrounding drugs, alcohol and having a toxic relationship which they decided to start back up again after a long time of being separated. A few of my other family members have also had substance problems and theres history of violence within my family. I must say I am not like that, I have no issues with substances and I have no criminal record or violent. I passed my viability assessment but the whole context of the assessment was about my brother nothing about me.

I main question is will my families past behaviours and drug/alcohol problems prevent me from getting my niece. Will I be judge harsely on their problems? I dont have anything to do with my other brothers or my dad so they will never be around my niece. I live a very normal stable life with my 4 year old and would love for my niece to be able to stay with me to give her stability and somewhere safe and for the first time in her life a living home.

Any help would be appreciated
Thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Kinship assessment advice

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jul 08, 2020 6:27 pm

Dear SHC99

Welcome to the family and friends carers’ forum and thank you for your post.

I see that you are concerned about how your family’s history of drug use and violence might affect your chances in being able to have a positive assessment for your niece to remain in your care. From what you say there are lot of difficulties within the family network.

As you have had a positive viability assessment, I assume that the social worker is aware of at least some aspects of your family and their circumstances, the further assessment will be more in depth and look at your own situation and how you are likely to manage the situation with your brother and the child’s mother as well as her interaction with other members of the family. You care for your own child in a stable and safe environment and this is what your niece will need in the long term. The assessment will look at you and your background and how you manage your own life. I do not think you will be criticised for your family’s choices it is more important how deal with your own life choices and whether you can keep your niece safe despite the family.

You say that the viability assessment you had focused on your brother but although it might seem this was the case, what would have been important is how you see him and his behaviour and the impact on his daughter and how you would be able to manage it. This is what gives an indication whether it is worth assessing you further. Also, as I said before, how you can manage to ensure your niece is safe. Your relationship with your brother is an important factor as children’s services will want to be sure that your niece’s needs are your priority and not your brother’s.

I am including a copy of our advice sheet relating to special guardianship which explains the sort of things that an assessment has to look at although it is clear if your are being assessed to be a foster carer or special guardian for your niece. Your background will be important and the referee you can provide as well as your medical history.

DIY Special Guardianship Orders - information for family and friends carers

Hopefully, this explains the position for you but should you wish to speak to an adviser, you can telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

Best wishes

Suzie