Currently have an SGO, But want to fully adopt.

LDA55

Currently have an SGO, But want to fully adopt.

Post by LDA55 » Tue Jun 30, 2020 6:39 pm

Hello everybody,
My current situation is :
I currently have an SGO over my nephew. This has been in place since Sep 2017 when he was 10 months old and he has lived with me and my partner ever since. The birth mother has stalled all contact and after a lot of effort on our part we have stopped chasing her. She has not seen him since 23rd June 2018 and correspondence is non-existent. The birth father is my younger brother who does not have any parental rights, nor is part of the SGO in any sense. The relationship is next to non existent and he believes he can drop in and out of my nephews life which we have stopped tolerating for my nephews wellbeing.
My partner is not on the SGO with me so does not have any legal parental rights, which has been a bit of a nightmare when it has came to dealing with medical problems that my nephew has gone through.

My Question :
In essence, myself and my partner want to fully adopt Reggie, change his last name and have complete parental rights. If anyone knows how we start or where we even begin this process it would be incredibly helpful.

Jomac13

Re: Currently have an SGO, But want to fully adopt.

Post by Jomac13 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:28 pm

Hello
What a great job you are doing.
I would seek legal advice. Only this morning I spoke with Ridley & Hall Solicitors on email and they were great.
Good luck