I want to step forward during current adoption proceedings to have my grand babies living with me, not adopted out

Inabsoulutetears

I want to step forward during current adoption proceedings to have my grand babies living with me, not adopted out

Post by Inabsoulutetears » Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:39 pm

Hi there,
I'm new here, and well, new in all this complexity of care/adoption proceedings.
I have a 1 year old grandaughter whom social services took her into foster care at birth as they where still doing Pam's assessments or whatever, and we, as a family we get two hrs a week supervised contact along with the parents (my 17 year old son and his 19yr old girlfriend) whilst her sisters and Mam went for the assesment to adopt and have now all failed as her sister wont have both (one is due, a little boy, any day now) which they told her would be the same proceeding as last time and babies social worker has told me it's too late to step in to be assessed as she now has extended the final until Aug to find a match who looking for a adoptive family seeking 1year old girl and newborn boy so I needn't worry about them being seperated.
I want them together yes but with me, with us, their loving grandparents and aunt and regular supervised contact with parents.
Time is slipping away..
What can I do if anything please?
Do I need forms to apply and what exactly am I asking for? And it isn't too late at this stage for me to step in is it?
Worried sick. I'm the only one who can try my very upmost to keep this family together.
Any advice would be gratefully appretiated thankyou.
Waiting in anticipation...

Robin D

Re: I want to step forward during current adoption proceedings to have my grand babies living with me, not adopted out

Post by Robin D » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:54 pm

Hi and welcome.

The advice sheet at https://www.frg.org.uk/images/Advice_Sh ... rities.pdf gives you most of the information you need. Page 10 onwards is specifically useful, but please take the time to read it all.

Childrens Services should place within the family if they can, but there is always a large drive to push up adoption numbers and children of that age are in high demand amongst prospective adopters.

I suggest doing two things:
  • Write a letter to the head of Children's Services at the local authority asking to be assessed for taking your grandchildren. Send it 'signed for' and make sure you get the proof of delivery from Royal Mail as soon as its delivered. Save a copy of the image or print it off. Send a copy to your local councillor if you live in the the same local authority
  • Contact the court that is dealing with the matter if you know. Speak to the court office and apply for leave too become a party to proceedings. They will help you with the documents but there is a fee to pay.

Do not mention either action to the social worker as they will try very hard to get you to change your mind. The first action should ensure that they come under management pressure to assess you. The second means you get to see and hear everything that is presented to the court, and indeed to put forward your views (assuming the court gives leave).

Now please go back and read that advice sheet I linked too at the start. Easy to forget if you have read on. ;)

Please keep posting back with progress. Suzie, the FRG advisor will probably give you further advice.

Good luck ..... Robin
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: I want to step forward during current adoption proceedings to have my grand babies living with me, not adopted out

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:22 pm

Inabsoulutetears wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 3:39 pm Hi there,
I'm new here, and well, new in all this complexity of care/adoption proceedings.
I have a 1 year old grandaughter whom social services took her into foster care at birth as they where still doing Pam's assessments or whatever, and we, as a family we get two hrs a week supervised contact along with the parents (my 17 year old son and his 19yr old girlfriend) whilst her sisters and Mam went for the assesment to adopt and have now all failed as her sister wont have both (one is due, a little boy, any day now) which they told her would be the same proceeding as last time and babies social worker has told me it's too late to step in to be assessed as she now has extended the final until Aug to find a match who looking for a adoptive family seeking 1year old girl and newborn boy so I needn't worry about them being seperated.
I want them together yes but with me, with us, their loving grandparents and aunt and regular supervised contact with parents.
Time is slipping away..
What can I do if anything please?
Do I need forms to apply and what exactly am I asking for? And it isn't too late at this stage for me to step in is it?
Worried sick. I'm the only one who can try my very upmost to keep this family together.
Any advice would be gratefully appretiated thankyou.
Waiting in anticipation...
Dear Inabsoulutetears

Welcome to the family and friends’ carers’ discussion board. My name is Suzie, FRG’s online adviser. Thank you for your post and apologies for not being able to respond to you sooner.

I am very sorry to hear of the difficulties you and your family are experiencing.

Robin has already offered you some very helpful and effective advice.

Just a few further points to clarify or add.

I think your granddaughter is subject to care proceedings (where the recommended plan by the local authority is for adoption) with a final hearing due in August. Your grandson is not yet born so no court application can be made for him until he is born and a legal entity, although plans can be put in place to keep him safe.

If you have not yet been assessed as a possible carer for both children it is not too late but you should request this urgently. You have rightly been advised to formalise your request to children’s services and to apply for permission to be party to the proceedings so that you can be involved and have a voice in the court proceedings.

Your son, who should be represented by a solicitor in the proceedings, can also ask his solicitor to ensure that the court directs your assessment (if he supports you applying to care for both children). If there are any other possible carers in the network they should urgently request an assessment. If there has not already been a family group conference to bring people together to help make plans for the children then one should be arranged. In the current situation, because of coronavirus (Covid 19) all meetings and court hearings are likely to be held remotely.

If your son and/or his partner have learning difficulties, do they have advocates to assist them in the court process?

In addition to the advice sheet previously mentioned please see FRG’s advice sheets on care proceedings and adoption as they explain the court processes and possible outcomes in more detail.

Perhaps you would like to ring FRG’s Freephone helpline to speak to an adviser about your situation – the number is Freephone 0808 801 0366 and the line is open Mon to Fri 9.30 to 3.00 pm (except bank holidays).

I hope this is helpful.

With best wishes

Suzie