HE Financial Support

EducationLiaison

HE Financial Support

Post by EducationLiaison » Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:09 am

I work in an university outreach role and have been corresponding with one of our applicants who is currently living with their auntie and uncle under a special guardianship order which ends on their 18th birthday. They have been living with their auntie and uncle since the age of two and a special guardianship order was issued when they were five years old. Their biological mum passed away last January and they have never known their biological father.

Does this mean that their auntie and uncle are expected to support them through university? Or would support be available through the Children's Services Department of their local authority?

Robin D

Re: HE Financial Support

Post by Robin D » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:02 pm

Hi. Legally the SGO gives auntie and uncle PR, but I don't know what the rules are around university loans. I guess the student loans on 0300 100 0607 may be better placed to to answer your question.

It's unlikely the LA are still involved. But if the guardians are getting support, they should contact the LA to discuss what support will be available post 18.
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: HE Financial Support

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:20 pm

EducationLiaison wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:09 am I work in an university outreach role and have been corresponding with one of our applicants who is currently living with their auntie and uncle under a special guardianship order which ends on their 18th birthday. They have been living with their auntie and uncle since the age of two and a special guardianship order was issued when they were five years old. Their biological mum passed away last January and they have never known their biological father.

Does this mean that their auntie and uncle are expected to support them through university? Or would support be available through the Children's Services Department of their local authority?
Dear EducationLiaison

Thank you for your post on this forum.

I see from your post that there is concern whether university education for a child subject to a special guardianship order would be entitled to support through university from children’s services. It would be important to establish if the child in question was a looked after child prior to the special guardianship order was made this means child was:

Accommodated under s.20 of the Children Act 1989 (as amended) or

Subject to an interim care order or full care order

If either the above applies then it may be possible to obtain support from children’s services. You may find it helpful to look at this guidance

As the aunt and uncle have a special guardianship order, they have parental responsibility for the young person and, as such, would as with any parent, be responsible to support together with whatever grants/loan a student may be entitled to receive.

I hope this information is helpful to you and the young person applying to university.

Best wishes

Suzie