child in need plan/financial help

rusticjas29

child in need plan/financial help

Post by rusticjas29 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:59 pm

4 children involved who are on a children in need plan. two of the children are my niece and nephew.
1st child age 13 currently with dad
2nd child age 11 with me auntie not by voluntary agreement.
3rd child age 9 currently with my mum her grandma.
4th child age 4 still with mum but may be removed,
my mum is looking after my niece age 9 and has been asked to apply to the court for a special guardianship by social services. my mum is currently receiving benefits so can claim child benefit and child tax credits for my niece. I'm currently looking after my nephew age 11 we have had both in our care since September 2019 and also asked by social service to apply for special guardianship I refused then they asked me to apply for a child arrangement order. myself and my partner work they wont help us financially and unable to claim tax credits!! I asked the social worker to refer me to apply to foster my nephew and she was all for this but her boss has said no because they didn't place the children with me. I was looking after both children for the day we always have them on a Sunday and take them out on the quads then return both of them home to their mother around 7pm on a Sunday. when returning them home on the Sunday night their mother was no where to be seen and the house was locked! mum is currently under an assessment because of her mental health and tried to commit suicide twice! their dad wasn't able to have them because he goes out to work at 5 am so I had no choice but to bring both children home with me. the social service do not want the two children returning to their mother and the mother doesn't want them so I'm left looking after my nephew with no financial held while the social worker does her assessments on mum, her partner who the children aren't allowed any contact with and the other 3 dads!! I didn't agree at 1st to have the two children I was forced to so therefor shouldn't be left with the full cost of bringing him up. the two children who are in mine and my mums care are doing really well at school 100% attendance and medical need being met. the other two children especially the one in mums care are missing school regularly and always late!!the position I'm in I feel like I'm being backed into a corner and have no choice to sent my nephew home for them to remove him and return him to me then id be able to foster him and get financial help straight away. I have an appointment with citizen advice next week but any help or advice would be very much appreciated. the social services want my nephew to stay in my care which im happy to do so till he's 18 but I must have financial help to do so.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: child in need plan/financial help

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:04 pm

Dear rusticjas29

Thank you for your post.

From what you have written, it seems that social workers will say to you that you have made a private arrangement with the parents of the child you are caring for and whilst there may be concern about the mother’s mental health, you have said that their father is not able to provide care due to work commitments but is nevertheless ‘available to care’.

However, since the local authority are involved with the children and as you indicate, they have said that the child must not go home to his mother, then you should ask them to do an assessment of the children’s needs. Our advice sheet Family support may be useful to you. You may also find some relevant information in Relatives and friends taking on the care of a vulnerable child in an emergency.

Best wishes

Suzie