Putting myself forward to second grandchild

Harrypotter1

Putting myself forward to second grandchild

Post by Harrypotter1 » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:10 pm

Hi I'm a newbie to this group hope everyone is well I have an sgo for my granddaughter who is now a happy lovely 5 year old I bought her home the day she was born my daughter has loads of issues drug use living on the streets she was diagnosed with asperger's years ago well she is pregnant again baby due end of January no one has been on board till about a month ago as she decided to travel up and down the coast thinking she will have baby on her own ss involved now she did at first tell them she gave permission for us to have this baby then in a meeting with ss and solicitors he said no my babys not going there so have been told by ss they are going to court so they can be babies gardian then ask judge for baby to come to us sorry this is going on but wauld like to know do we have to go through every bit of the assments all over again any help and advice wauld be a big help thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Putting myself forward to second grandchild

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Dec 20, 2019 11:14 am

Dear Harrypotter1

Thank you for your post, my apologies for not responding sooner.

You are correct you will have to go through the process again but given that social workers already have a good idea about your abilities they may choose to place the baby with you once they have parental responsibility gained through a court order. Our advice sheet about Care (and related) proceedings will tell you more.

Throughout the process Children’s Services will assess your daughter and or any other person she puts forward (including you, I imagine) to care for the child or they may decide to offer her an assessment with the baby in her care in a mother and baby environment.

If it is decided that they baby should be placed in your care it is likely that a Special Guardianship Order (SGO) will be granted to you, do have a look at our advice sheet about this order, you can find it here. Information about what the SGO will mean for your daughter, and the baby’s father can be found here.

I hope this information is useful to you.

Best wishes

Suzie