Legal Guardian

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:43 am

Legal Guardian

Post by Dragonfly18 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:10 pm

I hope you can help me.

My 15year old Spanish nephew is coming to England to study at College and as he is under 16 I need to become his legal guardian.

Can you let me know what I need to do to become his legal guardian please and who I should contact.

Many thanks

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 777
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

Re: Legal Guardian

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:04 pm

Dear Dragonfly18,

Welcome to the Family as Friends Carers Discussion Board.

We give advice primarily about children services and you are asking a private law question. So I am afraid I can only give basic advice.

Your question is about getting a legal order in respect of your nephew.

Probably the easiest order to get is a child arrangements order .
See our advice sheet about how a relative or friend can apply for a child arrangements order. There is a section in the advice sheet about how to apply for an order.

Other organisations that can help include the Child law advice line and Advice Now.

It sounds like you are a close relative (step parent, grandparent, aunt, uncle or older sibling whether full or half blood, marriage or civil partnership). If that is the case you do not need to register with children’s services.

If you are NOT a close relative, then you will be classed as a private foster carer until the child is 16. See here for the procedure for getting in touch with children services about being a private foster carer.

I hope this advice is helpful but if you need further advice please post again.

Best wishes,


Post Reply

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 242 on Sat May 16, 2020 6:47 am