Urgent help pls, Party to the proceedings

Post Reply
Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:11 pm

Urgent help pls, Party to the proceedings

Post by Bobsyouruncle » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:30 pm

Hi, we’ve been told ( after two weeks of waiting)that SS are going ahead with a full assessment for us to have our grandchildren. This was a surprise as I thought we had messed up and the fact that sw lied as well. Anyway I put everything on the back burner and just got over the upset of it all and us possibly failing assessment and now it’s all systems go! And i’m In a bit of a rush now.
There are A couple of things I want to ask.
Should I ask to be made party to the proceedings?
If so, how do I go about it?
Does it cost anything?
How long does it take? (In court again this week)
Also, I have been given a letter by SS saying they will pay X amount towards a solicitor that specialises in family/child law for 2 sessions. What would I need this for? When should I find one?
We’re about halfway through the court process. This will be our second time in court since the kids were taken into care since end sept.
Any help is much appreciated.
Regards x

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 743
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

Re: Urgent help pls, Party to the proceedings

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Nov 20, 2018 3:34 pm

Dear Bobsyouruncle

Thank you for posting again.

I am pleased for you that children’s services (the new name for social services) now intend to carry out a full assessment. This must make you happy and hopeful that your grandchildren may be with you very soon.

In your earlier post you said you were being assessed as foster carers with a view to apply for a special guardian ship order later.
At this stage, I do not think there is any need for you to be a party to the care proceedings. You are being assessed and you do not yet the outcome of the assessment.

Should you need to become a party at a later stage this would mean you making a formal application to the court and it is the judge who decides whether you can be a party or not. There is a form (C2) to be completed and there is also a fee to issue this application. The judge would consider the application usually at the next hearing or sometimes if necessary the application can be made verbally and the form submitted later.

If the assessment if also for special guardianship then the offer of legal costs being paid will, I think, relate to you seeking advice so you can have the legal position in respect of special guardianship/foster care explained. Also, it would be important to have the solicitor consider any support package with the special guardianship report. The time to instruct a solicitor would be after the assessment has been completed and you have the report then the solicitor can query anything on your behalf. If you do not have a solicitor then you could find on through the Law Society’s website at find a solicitor and put your postcode and the area of law. It is always helpful to have a solicitor who is accredited to the children panel as well.

Please read our advice sheets DIY Special Guardianship Orders - information for family and friends carers, Support for relatives and friends who are looking after someone else’s child and Family and Friends Care: becoming a foster carer.

You may also find it helpful to read Care (and related) proceedings.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 3pm.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes


Posts: 5
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:11 pm

Re: Urgent help pls, Party to the proceedings

Post by Bobsyouruncle » Tue Nov 20, 2018 4:15 pm

Thank you so much. Will have a look through those now.

Post Reply