Rupert Hughes RIP

David

Rupert Hughes RIP

Post by David » Fri Sep 25, 2015 9:04 am

Although not a name widely known, Rupert Hughes CBE who died in August this year was the senior civil servant perhaps most responsible for bringing the Children's Act 1989 into law. Many posters on here have had their problems dealing with specific provisions of this Act, but it is generally regarded as one of the most respected and influential pieces of post war legislation. It is this Act that established the "best interests of the child" as the overriding criterion in child welfare cases.
As I said, some posters on here may take issue with various aspects of the Act, but I believe that the grandchild that we care for would probably be in a much worse position without its enactment and am grateful for Rupert Hughes' work.
Detailed obituaries can be found in various broadsheet newspapers by googling Rupert Hughes name. I know tributes from FRG appeared on the web, but don't think anything actually appeared on frg.co.uk ?
David - former kinship carer for SEND grandaughter, now retired and still appointee for her Universal Credit & DWP benefits

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Rupert Hughes RIP

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Sep 28, 2015 5:42 pm

Dear David,

Thank you for highlighting Rupert Hughes work in bringing into law the Children Act 1989 and reminding us of benefits the Children Act brought to families.

We will be posting a tribute to Rupert Hughes in our news section and I will copy it onto the forum as well.

Thank you David.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Rupert Hughes RIP

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:55 pm

Dear Forum users,

You will find the tributes here.

Best wishes,

Suzie