section 20 childrens act

lancs lass

section 20 childrens act

Post by lancs lass » Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:25 pm

Does anybody have knowledge of how this is supposed to work! have had distressing calls from a kinship carer friend who has just agreed to let her two grand children go under a section 20 due to ill health at the moment, now being told by SS the children will not be returned and they, SS will be in court tomorrow. This friend has already raised two other grand children now aged 15/16 yrs without any help from SS. These last two were brought to her by ther police last Nov, with very little notice, and again no support, she is also trying to get the mum into a rehab, they have no solicitor no adult social worker which I am trying to help with, does anybody have knowledge of a good one in Liverpool. In all my years as a kinship carer it just never gets any better does it? Any help,advice will be so greatfully taken. Thanks.

David Roth

Re: section 20 childrens act

Post by David Roth » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:44 am

I think I would advise you friend to get on the Family Rights Group advice line as quickly as possible. The number is 0808 801 0366, it is free to call from all landlines and most mobiles, and it is open 10am to 3.30pm Monday to Friday.

I'm suggesting this rather than giving you a full answer, because there are a lot of details that would be needed in order to advise your friend what to do. What is her current ill health, and how long should it take her to recover? What was the legal arrangement for the children staying with her - was it a private family arrangement, or did children's services ever treat them as 'looked after' children?

Even if the children are going to be looked after, the local authority have a duty to try to place them with relatives as the first placement option. If your friend has previously looked afetr the cvhildren, and wants to loo kafetr them again, she might want to apply to become a party to any proceedings that are taking place.

As to solicitors firms, I can't recommend anyone in Liverpool, but Ridley & Hall are based in Huddersfield, and have some expertise in this area of law: http://www.ridleyhall.co.uk/

David R
FRG Policy Adviser
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser