SGO- not being consulted

mainyfamily

SGO- not being consulted

Post by mainyfamily » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:13 pm

Hi, need some help! We decided to go from kinship fostering to SGO and the reports are just being finished now. Whats concerning me is that there has been no mention of the need to get a solicitor from the SW and i have just recieved a email saying that the reports are nearly done including the support package and once these go off she is happy to let me have a copy!!!!

Um, dont we need to make sure the support is acceptable and actually see what they are willing to give before a judge see's this?

Also have been told the parents will get a copy of report and support package as they have legal right to be party to proceedings, havent we got that right?

Thanks

golden oldie

Re: SGO- not being consulted

Post by golden oldie » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Hi I am most interested to know the outcome of this, as we too are kinship carers in the process of getting SGO.

golden oldie
golden oldie

Help 1870

Post by Help 1870 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:36 pm

They should let you see the report and check the details of the support package before the order is finalised.

If you can hold out, wait till you see the support package, you may agree with and be happy with whats in it. If not then you need to get a solicitor involved, although if you are currently fostering then you should get the same finance, less the child benefit, that you get now.

The cant grant an order without knowing you agree with it. If thats the way it worked I doubt anyone would get a support package of any type.

Muspark

Post by Muspark » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:10 am

The support package must be agreed by you before it goes into the court room to be rubber stamped.

We waited outside for 3 hours while the Guardian and our solicitor (paid for by SS) argued that to only pay for 2 years was out of the question. It would mean the LA would stop paying for our boy before he was even old enough to start school!

In the end the LA had to agree to naming the amount to be paid and honouring that until he was 18. They had to have is written in the agreement and at one stage I was told "you are not going into court till it's agreed" by our solicitor.

It can be done... whether you are able to get it done alone is something you will have to consider. Ask what the Guardian thinks when he gets the report too, they can be your biggest friend.

David Roth

Post by David Roth » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:24 pm

In my view, carers who are being assessed should be able to see the reports about them before the report can be considered finalised. There may be factual errors that the assessing worker has made which you would be able to pick up. Your opinion may also differ from the opinion of the assessing worker's in some respects as well, and in my view it would be good practice for the assessor to include your opinions as well as his or her own. I would apply this to all assessments of carers, whether for fostering, RO or SGO.

You are also right that you ought to see the support package which is being suggested. However, just because it is in the report that does not mean it is the final word on what you will get, and you will be able to argue the point in court before the order is made if you are not happy with what is being offered.

David R
FRG Policy Adviser
David Roth
FRG Policy Adviser