My SGO Assessment is negative

FreshwaterSue98

My SGO Assessment is negative

Post by FreshwaterSue98 » Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:31 pm

Despite the ISW saying I'm obviously a great grandma she doesn't recommend me because she doesn't feel I could work with the LA. I was very critical of how they treated my daughter and removed her 5 day old baby despite threshold criteria being in dispute. The LA promised to find her a mother and baby unit but didn't. The last 6 months of grief and trauma have resulted in a decline in my daughter's mental health to the point now where last week she tried to take her life. I have been grieving the removal of my baby grandson and now the loss of my daughter to mental illness. How can I save my grandson from going from an ICO foster placement into adoption? I am party to proceedings and a Litigant in Person as I have limited finances. The final hearing is 12th june

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: My SGO Assessment is negative

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:33 am

Dear FreshwaterSue98,

Thank you for your post. I am very sorry to hear about the very distressing situation that your family are in and I hope the following advice is helpful.

You are worried that your grandson will be adopted and wish to know if there is anything you can do to stop this. You put yourself forward as a prospective special guardian however your assessment has come back negative. I would suggest that you consider challenging the outcome of your assessment in writing and submitting this to the court (if you still wish to care long-term for your grandson). You would need to make the court aware that you wish to challenge the outcome of the assessment and you would need to make it clear why you disagree with the social worker's rationale for a negative outcome. It would be important to focus on why you feel that you would be able to work with the local authority, reflecting on past difficulties and how you feel that you can move forward in your grandson's best interests. You don't have a solicitor, however if your daughter is supportive of you challenging the outcome of the assessment then her solicitor may be able to assist with this.

If, despite your best efforts, the court decides that adoption is in your grandson's best interests then I would encourage you to speak with the guardian, social worker and court about the possibility of post-adoption contact between you and your grandson. You could ask if the adoptive family would be willing to meet with you directly to discuss this.

I am sorry to hear about how unwell your daughter is. I hope that she is receiving some support for her mental health. We have some links to organisations that provide support for people suffering from poor mental health HERE. Your daughter may also find some support from MATCH mothers who provide confidential support to mothers who are apart from their children. PAC-UK also offer support to birth families when a child has been adopted (or is at risk of being adopted).

I hope that this is of some help. Please do post again if you have further questions as things progress, or you can call our confidential adviceline on 0808 801 0366 (Monday to Friday, 9:30am – 3pm) to speak with an adviser.

Best wishes,
Suzie