Meetings - do i have rights?

catapillar2018

Meetings - do i have rights?

Post by catapillar2018 » Wed May 25, 2022 8:41 pm

Hi, I'm not sure which topic was best to post this but i'm looking for some advice regarding CTM/CIC reviews. I've been a connected persons foster carer for over 3years and have been having meetings separate due to how Birth mother is, her history with family harrssement. She comes across to every new social worker like she has changed but unfortunately she hasn't. I wished she had as it would make life easier. For this reason i still want meetings to be separate, i want them to be proactive for my nephew so he receives what he needs, rather then meetings being about the mum, and the dynamics between us and then the risk of anything i may say to cause additional trouble.

However,i am now being forced into having the same meetings as they refusing to have them separate despite the reasons why. Can anyone advise if i have any legal say/rights in being able to have them stay separate?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Meetings - do i have rights?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:23 am

Dear catapillar 2018

Thank you for your post and apologies that you did not receive a response sooner.

I see from your original post that you sought a special guardianship order (SGO) but it appears that order was not made and you are caring for your nephew as a connected person foster carer.

There have been and from what you say continue to be difficulties with the birth mother’s behaviour towards you and your family. As a result of her behaviour, children’s services arranged for care team meetings to be held separately from the mother. The position now is that children’s services are of the view that meetings should now be held with both you and the mother attending at the same time. You are unhappy about this as you believe the mother has not changed in her attitude towards you. You want to know if you have any legal right for the meetings to remain separate.

As foster carer, you are technically working for the local authority who have a care order and share parental responsibility with the child’s mother and father if he has parental responsibility. You can make your views/wishes and feelings known to the social worker but there is no legal right as such for you to have separate meetings. It may be that the current social worker is of the view that joint meetings will be step in moving towards a better relationship with the birth mother. If, as you say, she pretends to have changed to new social workers, but her behaviour is the same, then she will not be able to maintain the pretence and meetings may have to change to being separate again. Now, it appears they wish to give her the benefit of the doubt. Have you attended a joint meeting yet? Did the meeting go well? I suggest you give your views and concerns to the social worker and his or her team manager.

Children’s services must review the care for looked after children regularly and this is the purpose of the meetings which explore the care plan for the child is still working well and, in the child’s, best interests. It seems that children’s services are hoping that better relations between you and the mother is best for your nephew. You do not mention the mother’s position on having joint meetings with you. I think you may want to consider working with children’s services or, it may be believed that you are being unreasonable. The meeting should be to discuss your nephew’s needs (his age is not stated) and part of that maybe to see you and his mother getting on better.

You may find it helpful to read the information in this link to our website below relating to children looked after under a court order.

I hope you find this information helpful. Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our advice line of 0808 801 0366 which is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).

Best wishes

Suzie