Kinship carers fostering allowance.

Jnan

Kinship carers fostering allowance.

Post by Jnan » Tue Apr 05, 2022 1:05 pm

Hi, well we are now 1 week away from our granddaughter moving to us under a kinship care order. We have been told we will be receiving a foster carers allowance but are also aware of a foster carers fee. Will we be entitled to this as well? Our granddaughter is severely disabled so any payments would be at a higher level. Thanks.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Kinship carers fostering allowance.

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:20 am

Dear Jnan

Thank you for your post, I apologise for the long delay in responding.

I am not clear what you mean by a ‘kinship care order’, but if there is a Care Order in place, the local authority (and the parents) have parental responsibility and you do not and you should ask the local authority about any foster carers enhancements that you may be entitled to. Here is our advice sheet about becoming a foster carer.

In a previous post you mentioned an application for a special guardianship order. If you are special guardians please see the section on our website that cover this.

The Government has some information about additional support for families with a disabled child on their site and here are two other charities that might be helpful to you. Contact and the Family Fund.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie