Going to court and representing myself

Ilovecats

Going to court and representing myself

Post by Ilovecats » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:59 pm

new to this, here goes
family dynamic - Daughter, Husband (OP) and 4 children. 1(Z) working happy, 1 left home (Y) ( violence etc) 1 (X) in care, suicidal tendencies, neglected by parents, 1(W) has Global Developent delays. Signs of neglect throughout.

I applied to be a foster carer, so has another family member (AB). I agree AB is the best option as a carer.
AB verbally informed would be given a positive assessment. Pyschologist assessed OP and children.

Social Workers SW visited the house of OP, AB also visited and advised if home clean(er) or things that could be done.. AB had W every other week.
AB and self recieved a negative report. Now we going to court, LA want X to stay in care and to take W into permanent care.

I can't afford thousands of pounds for me to have a barrister and not entitled to legal aid. AB had legal aid to apply to the court for the care order and if she doesn't have it for the further proceedings I will find the money for her as I strongly believe that there was prejudice from the SW and that W should be with family. I also applied for a care order and financed a solicitor to help me through that process. I am now representing myself in court.

So what happens next? Is there any help I can get at this late stage?

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Going to court and representing myself

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Tue Feb 01, 2022 12:15 pm

Dear Ilovecats

Thank you for your post and welcome to the Board.

Firstly, please see our website for information about care proceedings, local authorities normally apply for care orders, not individuals.

With regard to representing yourself, perhaps you may wish to care for the child/ren under a Special Guardianship Order or a Child Arrangements Order – do look at the links that I have embedded in this paragraph.

Additionally, you may be able to get some help with the court process from Support Through Court.

You have said that you are at a late stage, at the point when you (and AB) were told that you had failed an assessment were you able to challenge the outcome? Do have a look at LETTER 3 at the bottom of this webpage on our site.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie