Help with adapting a property

Post Reply
Posts: 10
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:53 am

Help with adapting a property

Post by Jnan » Mon Aug 30, 2021 4:53 pm

Hi, I am probably going to be getting my severely disabled grandaughter coming to live with me under an SGO. She is just over two years old. She is unable to talk, walk, crawl, support herself while sitting, she has a sensory disorder in that she can’t stand loud noises, sudden movements, strangers. She also has extremely limited sight. Her condition will not get any better. My home is completely unsuitable for her due to size and there are stairs to the bedrooms, no downstairs toilet and access to each room is restricted. I gave asked the local authority who she us currently in care with what support they can give and they have said none. I wanted to build an extension, move the kitchen and make the kitchen a bedroom and en-suite shower room/ toilet for my granddaughter. Is this excessive? If they don’t help us there anywhere else I can turn? Thanks for your help.

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 771
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

Re: Help with adapting a property

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Sep 08, 2021 12:38 pm

Dear Jnan

Thank you for your post, I apologise for the long delay in responding to your questions.

Your request for adaptation of your property to meet the needs of your grandchild must be relayed to the social worker working with you for the SGO and your granddaughter’s social worker too. I imagine that her care plan highlights what her needs are now and may/should have insight into what they will be in the future. The local authority will have policies for children with disabilities, perhaps you should ask for these, as soon as possible.

There may be other professionals who may be involved with your granddaughter and to whom you should probably speak, such as an occupational therapist, and if not now, a social worker who works within the children with disabilities team in your area. And when your granddaughter comes to live with you, you will likely register her with your GP services, you might want to ask them, in advance, how they can support her (and you).

I should like to signpost you to a great deal of reading materials now and websites where you might find further advice.

Firstly, an area on our website where you will find information for kinship carers and about Special Guardianship Orders. And for convenience here is our advice sheet called Practical and financial support for Special Guardians.

Family Action has an advice sheet for special guardians about support when a child has a disability, here it is.

Here is information from our website about children with disabilities, how to ask for assessments and the duties that children’s services have in this area.

The Government has information on their website too, you will find it here. And here is some information about home adaptation grants.

Other charities where you might find advice are Kinship and Scope.

Your local authority will have a family and friends care (kinship) policy, please see this section on our website where you may find it.

I hope this information is helpful.

Best wishes


Post Reply

Who is online

In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 242 on Sat May 16, 2020 6:47 am