Adopt a step grandchild

Pomswantingoz

Adopt a step grandchild

Post by Pomswantingoz » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:04 am

I am currently fostering my 11month old grandchild (step) who I have had for past 7month. I am on my own caring for him since my husband unfortunately passed away. Social services want me to apply for SGO but I want to adopt him. Is this an option? Reason for wanting adoption is I was planning on emigrating to NZ and with SGO this will not be possible, but with adoption I can. I am in my late 30s and had so many plans with emigrating and I am happy to raise my grandchild but feel this arrangement should also be one that fits in with my life and I bleep
A judge would see that. He would have an amazing life in NZ. His parents would be welcome to visit anytime and we would return to the UK also for holidays.
BPs have contact but only turn up when it suits them. They currently say yes to adoption one day and then change their mind the next. Any advice would be great fully received. Many thanks

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Adopt a step grandchild

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:01 pm

Dear Pomswantingoz

Thank you for your post and welcome to our discussion board. I am very sorry for the delay in responding.

Special guardianship orders (SGOs) can allow an individual to remove the child from the United Kingdom if they have consent of every other person with parental responsibility (PR) or permission (leave) of the court. Our advice sheets about SGOs can tell you more, you can find them in this section of our website.

Perhaps if the parents already agree to the suggestion of adoption they may agree to this too as it will mean that they do not lose their PR and you can make arrangements for contact as you describe. It may also be useful to have a discussion with the social worker responsible for the child too.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Suzie