Changing a childs surname on the sgo court papers

Maggs64

Changing a childs surname on the sgo court papers

Post by Maggs64 » Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:45 am

Can someone please tell me how I change a child surname on the SGO. Ive got an SGO on my 2 granddaughter .One is in the dads name the other in my name. They have no contact with Dad his never tried to make contact. Ive got form LOC022 and mums permission but not sure how i go about it.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Changing a childs surname on the sgo court papers

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:36 pm

Dear Maggs64

Welcome to the family and friends carers’ discussion board and thank you for your post. My name is Suzie, and I am FRG’s online adviser.

I can see that you would like your two granddaughters, who you care for under SGOs, to have the same surname so are looking into how to do this.

Changing the surname of a child who is subject to a special guardianship order can only be done with the written consent of all those with parental responsibility for the child, or by getting the court's permission if those people won't all consent. So in your granddaughter’s case, her father (with parental responsibility) would have to provide written consent too or you will have to apply to the court for permission to change her surname. If her father is not involved at all then the court would have to decide.

Any application you make to the court would involve the parents as parties and, they could, if they wish, challenge your application.

If you want to get the permission of the court to change your granddaughter’s surname, it would be a good idea to take legal advice about the process – you can contact Child Law Advice, Rights of Women or contact a solicitor with children law accreditation from the Law Society. There is specific information about changing a child’s surname, from Child Law Advice here.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Suzie