SGO medical further infor

Radzwife15

SGO medical further infor

Post by Radzwife15 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:13 pm

Hi all
This is my first time posting and really on the look out for some help and advice. Brief history LO is currently in Foster care under a section 20 BF is inside for GBH against BM. BM is my cousin addicted to cocaine and weed no where to live.
we where asked by SS to step up on July 2019 to put forward for an SGO.
We have recieved a positive outcome from our indepdnant social worker however are still waiting for our result from medical before being given full assessment decision however we are due in court for final hearing via skype on 22nd April.
We currently not party to preceding. We are a little concerned as I suffer from non epileptic attack disorder meaning I have two seizures a month and these are escalated due to stress. My hsuabnd is currently working full time however due to crisis and poteinally having to be full care giver for LO has stepped down and currently taking leave from work untill we know what's happening.
SW called today to say medical Dr has asked for my diagnosis from 2015 and whether I had any further appointments for neurology which was scheduled on the 9th April but now unknown.
Basically am worried that if the medical comes back negative that even though everything has been positive and we told them about my condition from the start it could mean LO will end up being adopted as LA are running adoption this option at the same time.
Anyone had any success with a failed medical but over all positive assessment and ended up with SGO.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: SGO medical further infor

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:18 pm

Dear Radzwife

Welcome to the family and friends carers’ discussion forum and thank you for your post.

My name is Suzie, Family Rights Group’s online adviser. I see from your post that you are concerned about what might happen regarding your medical history. From what you have said children’s services are already aware of your medical condition so the doctor asking for more information from you is to ensure that they have the full picture. It is understandable that you are worried but as part of the assessment you have shown that you have taken your health into account. You and your husband have already discussed the possibility of him being the primary carer.

There is a requirement in the special guardianship regulations that the assessment of prospective special guardians must include among other things:

‘(k) a health history of the prospective special guardian including details of any serious physical or mental illness, any hereditary disease or disorder or disability;

It is part of the process for the medical history to be investigated. If you have not already done so, you may find it helpful to read our advice sheet DIY Special Guardianship Orders - information for family and friends carers for more information about being a special guardian and what is involved in the assessment as well as court procedure. I am not sure you will have ‘a failed medical’ since your condition is already known and, it may be that the further request for information is to have a full picture.

Normally, children’s services carry out what is called twin track planning as they need to have an alternative plan and this is the case for the majority of cases. Please read our advice sheet Care (and related) proceedings for more information about care proceedings.

I understand that this is a worrying time but I think you may have a positive outcome since you are not going to be a sole carer. If you wish to be party to the proceedings it is possible to apply to the court. It will be the judge’s decision whether you can be a party. If all parties are in agreement that you and your husband should be special guardians there will be no issues for you to challenge but, if you think it will help you both to be parties to the proceedings, then there is information in the advice sheets above how you can do this.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, you can telephone for free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).

I hope this is helpful

Best wishes

Suzie

Radzwife15

Post by Radzwife15 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:54 pm

Thank you so much for responding.
Since my last message we have recieved the call today from the LA saying that their medical doctor has completed the reported and deemed us unfit to care for LO and has given us a negative medical assessment
With this in mind the LA are now changing their plan from. An SGO to adoption outside of the family. We have since had contsct with BM solicitor and explained all our concerns and been made aware that the main part of the report has been based on a report from a diagnosis I had in 2015. We are not happy with this and feel that this isn't a representation of who I am now how we manage my seizures and the fact that we are being told we are unfit to look after LO.
We will be asking to attend court on Wednesday where we hope the judge will ask us enough questions to show himu health dosent define who we are today and how we look after children.
It seems like we have a battle on our hand the BM solcitor has made it clear to BM that she would be best to put all her weight behind us as to support us in building a counter against LA adoption placement.
We are not willing to go down without a fight 2e are currently not party as of yet and hope the judge will authorise this.
If you have any support or advice on how we could prepare as we would be representing ourselves as we can't afford the amount being asked but due to the LA being outside of our LA so is meaning more expense to be represented(if that makes sense)

Kind regards

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:25 am

Dear Radzwife

Thank you for your further post and I am sorry that you have had a negative medical assessment based on your earlier diagnosis.
I can understand that it must be very upsetting for you now that the local authority’s plan is for adoption. You say the birth mother’s solicitor has advised that she support you.

You want to know what you can do now as you wish to do all you can to show the court that you are able to look after the child in question. If, as you say in your post, the doctor has failed you only because of the diagnosis you obtained in 2015, then it might be helpful for you to provide more up-to-date medical information. The information could be from your treating consultant, although it may be that enquiries have already been made with him or her. I think the worry might be that you do have seizures and this might happen when the child is in your sole care at any time. The court would have to be satisfied that there is no risk to the child in the short and long term in respect of the care he or she will received from the person or persons providing care.

If your GP is able to offer information regarding your health, this might be helpful too. However, I am assuming that your medical records would have been looked at as part of the assessment and, as I recall, additional information was requested because of your diagnosis.

You may find it helpful to read our advice sheet Care (and related) proceedings . Although you are representing yourself the judge will give you the opportunity to explain your position. The judge may ask you additional questions about your health and the plans you having for managing care of the child. The court’s main consideration will be the welfare of the child not only now but long term. The views of the children's guardian will also be important for the judge to consider.

Guidance has been given regarding remote hearing in family cases and you can find this by looking at the gov.uk website.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser please telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie