1st Court hearing SGO - knowing my rights as Council are useless!

twinsauntie

1st Court hearing SGO - knowing my rights as Council are useless!

Post by twinsauntie » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:03 am

Hi there,

After 2 long years of totally unhelpful social workers (we're on our third), many more years of emotional turmoil, being misadvised and being fobbed off time and time and time again by the council to the point where I actually told them I thought I was going to have to let my nieces go into foster care as I couldn't/can't afford to support them - and them agreeing it is not in their best interests to go into care but STILL not helping, getting into debt (still am, and it does nothing but increase) I have been given a hearing date for the SGO on the 10th September..

The SGO is totally supported by SS and the current social worker has told me that she doesn't know how many hearings there will be, but I have been told that I should have the results of the means assessment before the court date?!

I have been refused legal help from the council and can't afford it on my own, sorry, after getting my local MP involved, after about 7 months of fighting I have been given 2 hours to which I am still waiting to hear HOW that is paid for as I can't get the help without knowing that.

Please could someone shed any light on my actual rights, and what the council have to do before any of this gets legalised? I know once it is legalised I will get nowhere.

Thank you for any guidance you can give!
Auntie of twin 12 year old girls.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: 1st Court hearing SGO - knowing my rights as Council are useless!

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:50 pm

Dear twinsauntie

Thank you for your further post.

It is good that you are now coming to the end of the process to have an order for your nieces.

You have been offered financial support and the opportunity to have legal advice from a solicitor. Regarding the solicitor, you should find a solicitor and inform the social worker of the firm you are using. Children’s services should contact the solicitor to confirm that they will pay the cost of the advice or the solicitor can contact them to request confirmation.

My advice would be that you should ensure that an acceptable support package including financial support is in place prior to the order being made. Also, it might be helpful for whatever support is being offered to be included in the court order, so that you do not have problems once the order has been made and the court proceedings concluded.

I hope this helps but if you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

Best wishes

Suzie