Sgo finance withdrawn/reduced!

Jmp

Sgo finance withdrawn/reduced!

Post by Jmp » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:00 pm

Are there any other special guardians out there who have had there allowance drastically reduced or even stopped? As from the 30th of October we will receive only 1 third of the money we were previously getting and my sister's money has stopped altogether. We both have had our neices and nephew for 5 years now without so much as a squeak from the SS. Last week we both filled in our first financial review form and were dumbfounded with the outcome. My husband and I actually are thousands of pounds worse annually from when we first took on the girls. We just can't believe it! We keep getting robbed of when we phone the offices saying so and so is not in we will get them to phone etc., etc . I've been to see the local MP, I've emailed Family rights group and left lots of messages to an answering machine. Stll nobly is helpin. I'm stumped

Robin D

Re: Sgo finance withdrawn/reduced!

Post by Robin D » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:57 pm

Hi Jmp and welcome.

I'm not directly affected as we neither have an SGO or get any allowance whatsoever. However, others here have had similar experiences. Have you put in a formal complaint to the Local Authority. If no, do so, as legally they cannot ignore it unlike phone calls. You should find the complaints procedure on the LA web-site. Be prepared for the first stage (there are 3 stages) to be a whitewash, but immediately complain again and ask that its taken up to stage 2 & then 3. Also contact your local councillor, they can be a pain in the side of those making the decisions. Once you have exhausted the complaints procedure you can apply to the Local Government Ombudsman.
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Sgo finance withdrawn/reduced!

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:27 am

Hi JMP,

First of all, I want to say sorry that you feel nobody is helping you or responding to your email/calls. I have checked our advice emails and can see that one of my colleagues replied to your email yesterday. I hope you have received this and I refer you to the advice he gave you. Regarding the messages you have left, I have checked our call back sheet and your details are not in it. When did you call? It might be the case that we have tried to call you on 2/3 occasions and then if we can’t get through, have taken your details out of the call back list. We do have a policy of only guaranteeing 2 attempts at calling back as we have so many to get through. Our line is very quiet today however so if you do want to speak to somebody, do try calling again. Our number is 0808 801 0366 and the line is open from 9.30 to 3.30.

Also what Robin says is correct in that you could make a complaint. Here is our complaints advice sheet so you are aware of the whole process. Here also is our SGO advice sheet. At page 30 there is a section called “Can support services be withdrawn at a later date?” This section explains that support services will be reviewed annually and are subject to change but that the Local Authority (LA) must follow appropriate procedures before implementing that change. Please read through this is in the advice sheet to check whether your LA followed the correct procedure. Also as my colleague recommended in his email, go back and check what was set out in your original agreement.

Do get back in touch if you have any more questions.

Best wishes

Suzie