can anyone advise plz

ann1

can anyone advise plz

Post by ann1 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:28 pm

before xmas my daughters friends children was taken into foster care due to her and the childres father fighting all the time the children were given back a week before xmas on condition the father stayed away . my daughter went to see the children boxing day the children were upset because farther xmas never came to them. my daughter looked in the cupboards there was no food atall she came and told me between us we emptied our cup
ann1

Robin D

Re: can anyone advise plz

Post by Robin D » Mon Jan 03, 2011 2:56 pm

I agree that the local Children's Services Department in the local authority where your daughter lives must be advised. Normally, I would be saying that it might be prudent to wait a few days before doing so, as this is no more than a short 'holiday' with a friends family and there is no requirement to notify for care of less than 28 days. However, in this case SS have recently been involved this changes the situation and perhaps they need to be told sooner rather than later. It might be best if your daughter rings the BAAF advice line as detailed here for impartial and confidential advice.

Irene is correct in referring to it as 'private fostering', full details can be found on the government web site. This web site shows you how to notify the local authority in your daughters area. It's a legal offence not to notify after 28 days so your daughter could be prosecuted.

However, it sounds as though you have concerns over the care that all these children may be getting? It's great that you reacted in the way you did to deal with the short term crisis. These children have a long childhood ahead of them and we all have a duty to ensure they If you have concerns, you might want to talk anonymously to the NSPCC about it. See this page of their website. The big advantage of talking to the NSPCC is that they will never betray your identity, whereas SS will frequently tell the parents who has raised concerns.

Good luck with this.

Robin.

Edit: I forgot to add that while Irene's statement about funding is generally true, in this case, the children were only returned home very recently, so I suspect if this goes on, you daughter would have a good claim for financial support.

Grandparent carer in Suffolk [:)]
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

ann1

Post by ann1 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:49 am

thankyou for your advice my daughter informed the local authority that she has the child they are due to come out to see her next week .there has been another incedent with the mother and father were the police were called and the mother has been told the social worker is wrighting a letter before proceddings what does this mean and can my daughter request that she be party to proceedings if so how can she do this .
ann1

ann1

Post by ann1 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:00 pm

thanx irene yes it was another domestic the father is not supposed to have any contact but he was at the house again the other children have not been removed at the moment.
ann1

ann1

Post by ann1 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:23 pm

since i last posted this is whats happend since i last posted my daughter had a visit from ss my daughter told her everything thats been going on and her concernes for the other children and showed then all text messages from the mother wich among other things they proved that the father was incontact with the children ss went straight to mothers house told her all that my daughter had told her well all hell beoke lose that night police turned up at my daghters they had told them she had abducted the child the police eventually left once they had done all there inquaries happy the child was safe next day the mother phoned ss and told them she wanted the child taken out of my daughters care because they were drug takers compleatly untrue anyway ss had a meeting and it was decided that all the children were to be taken into care.on friday the day the children were due to go into mother phonrd ss again and told them she was angry when she phoned my daughter was not into drugs and she wonted to leave the child with my daughter but ss said it had gone to far nothing they could do all the children are now in care .the ss have told mt daughter to fight for the child that was in her care .my question were does she start .and is there anypoint once they have allready gone into care i back her all the way but i dont want her to put herself throgh this if theres not a lot of hope for her.
ann1

Robin D

Post by Robin D » Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:07 pm

It is called Family and Friends care in a lot of government literature. However, as Irene states they would initially look to place the children with family as a family unit. That does not mean that your daughter should just drop it though. She should write to the Director of Childrens Sevices at the LA putting on record he willingness to have the child and, if appropriate, what sort of support she could give to the child(ren) whilst things are up in the air.

I would also suggest she contacts the social worker to see if she can have contact with the child(ren) at the foster parents as it would be beneficial to the children to have a friendly face around.

Grandparent carer in Suffolk [:)]
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.