Parenting assessment

KT53

Parenting assessment

Post by KT53 » Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:37 pm

Hi with regards to parenting assessment. Does past history get to be used.
We were told it does not get included this was told to us by social worker however it's been added.
And it does not paint my daughter in a very good light at keeping her little boy.
The research I have done is inrealable.
Thankyou

Robin D

Re: Parenting assessment

Post by Robin D » Sun Sep 06, 2020 7:00 pm

Hi KT53. I am astonished that a SW told you that. The whole purpose of the assessment is to see if a placement would be safe and in the best interests of the child. Anything pertinent will go in, as it forms part of the overall picture. If history was not included, someone who had previously let a child down big time, would easily be given another chance, and a child would again be hurt if the historical failings had not been addressed.

I appreciate it may show your daughter in a negative light, but it at least gives you and her the chance to mitigate against any actual or perceived risk to the child. Not knowing your case makes it difficult to give ideas, but for instance if the history meant your daughter had health, drink or drug problems and a child was discovered alone and uncared for, a mitigation might be that you, or other family members were prepared to check on her and the child daily, with an agreed action plan if things started going wrong.

Hopefully this makes some sense and you are able to put disappointment at what you may see as SW deception to the back of your mind, and with your daughter, start to think how any risk might be minimised.

Good luck ... Robin
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Sep 07, 2020 11:55 am

KT53 wrote: Sun Sep 06, 2020 3:37 pm Hi with regards to parenting assessment. Does past history get to be used.
We were told it does not get included this was told to us by social worker however it's been added.
And it does not paint my daughter in a very good light at keeping her little boy.
The research I have done is inrealable.
Thankyou
Dear KT53

Thank you for your post.

In addition to what Robin D has said do have a look at this document Working Together to Safeguard Children 2018 which from page 24 to page 29 may give you a better idea about what assessments are, how they are done and the areas they cover.

Best wishes.

Suzie

KT53

Post by KT53 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:39 pm

Hi thankyou for the reply. This is her first child. But she has a history of mental health and was a child at risk, from herself.
But I was there at the meeting when the social worker stated this about previous history. So was shocked when it was in parenting assessment.
Thankyou.

KT53

Post by KT53 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:00 pm

Hello. Thankyou so much for the replies I did look.at the working together document.
However I felt that it was more professional.based and not for a mother.and a grandma document.

Thankyou for the help though.