Can fathers get foster allowance during interim care period?

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 07, 2020 11:10 am

Can fathers get foster allowance during interim care period?

Post by Benz11 » Tue Jul 14, 2020 9:52 am

My son is subject to a intrem care order. He has been in my care since may until the outcome of who he will be placed with permanently. It is looking positive for him to stay with me.

During a zoom court hearing the judge did ask the LA representative who will the fostering payments go to as hes going to his fathers.They replied the father would. Following that they have now said I will only get a reimbursement for child benefit. As I already have a child in my care they offered £13.95 a week (bare in mind his milk cost £11).
I then went on the .Gov website and used the calculator to work out if I would've been entitled to any more benefits, which came back as I could recieve another £235 a month. I informed the social worker of this, which he said they are only willing to give the child benefit. They were also aware I'm on a furlough pay, live in private rented accommodation and have another child in the house. Their has been no financial assement done, nothing. I am struggling. My son is 7 months and needs a lot.

My question are; because it's an interim care period would I be entitled to the fostering allowance although I'm the dad?

If not wouldn't the LA have to atleast match what I would've been receiving if I'd had full custody of him?

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

Re: Can fathers get foster allowance during interim care period?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:03 pm

Dear Benz11

Welcome to the discussion forum.

I am sorry that you are having difficulties obtaining financial support for your baby son who was placed in your care under an interim care order.

Children’s services now have parental responsibility (shared with you and your child’s mother) and, as such, have a responsibility to him to ensure that his needs are met although he is placed with you.I suggest that you ask your solicitor to contact children’s services
about the lack of financial support even though they informed the court that you would receive financial support.

As a parent you would not be entitled to receive a fostering allowance. However, there are regulations covering the placement of children with parents under final or interim care orders. The regulation impose on children’s services certain duties.

Children’s services should provide a placement plan and care plan. The placement plan should set out details of the support and services and support to be provided for the child. This is should be part of the Schedule 3 assessment as required by the Care and Planning Regulations 2010 (as amended) and I suggest you ask the social worker to provide the plan and confirm when this assessment was carried out. Children’s services are also required to look at a parent’s income Reg. 3(1)(f).

Please see our advice sheet Duties on Children’s Services when children are in the care system for more information.

I hope this helps. Should you wish to speak to an adviser, do telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

Best wishes


Post Reply