Advice required Urgently

Nona

Advice required Urgently

Post by Nona » Mon Jan 18, 2021 3:19 pm

Please can we be advised.
A maternal uncle from my paternal granddaughters family has gone forward to foster care for her. She was taken from the mother at birth. The Father my son is not recommended either.

We were contacted by the maternal uncles elderly parents way back in late May /June and told the reason why they are estranged from him and threw him out of the house as a teenager, was because he had took nude pictures of one of his younger sisters and sold them to his friends (I believe he was over 16 years of age)
The parents did not involve the police. He is in his 40’s now and has changed his surname. (The foster service are aware of the name change) He has his own family of children. (Late teens to adults)

The concern was raised with my granddaughters SW in May, she clearly has not checked it out. He covers the estrangement by saying he had a violent childhood, and both him and my granddaughters mother (his sister) have requested as early as when my granddaughter was born to SS that they want no contact to their parents.
We are worried sick and don’t know what to do , it’s a complex case and we fear as I’m being assessed it will be seen as sour grapes. One of the mothers previous children was placed in the foster care of his parents and not him, he allegedly withdrew at that time because of his history and the fear it would come out. But the situation with my granddaughter is that she is with an other LA miles away, he knows the system and process and he’s managing to make sure his parents views don’t need to be got. Sadly he also only came forward for the renumeration the mother was bragging.
It’s sick and making me ill.- we are so scared of adoption and getting on the wrong side of the LA and ruining my chances. It’s not in his previous file.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Advice required Urgently

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:04 pm

Dear Nona

Thank you for your further post which does explain some matters in more detail.

I am glad to hear that you are also being assessed as a possible carer for your granddaughter. I can see that you are worried that as you are being assessed any concerns you raise may be misinterpreted.

I think that the advice given in my earlier response still applies. As it seems that the concerns have already been made known to children’s services then they will need to explore all these issues as part of their fuller assessments, including explanations for estrangements. From what you say, I don’t think your granddaughter has been placed with her maternal uncle at this stage. Is that right? If so, as mentioned previously, assessments will be shared with the court (including the court-appointed Guardian), if there are care proceedings for the child, and your son will be able to get legal advice and representation from his solicitor about how to challenge and make sure any significant concerns are made known. If your granddaughter is in foster care then she will also have an IRO to oversee her care plan so again this is a forum for discussion/another professional to oversee the planning for your granddaughter.

The maternal grandparents could contact children’s services directly if they are worried and want to share information.

I hope this helps a little. I understand that this whole process is stressful for you and that you are currently having an assessment yourself. It is important that you look after yourself and engage openly with the assessment. Do get in touch if you need any advice about your assessment or its outcome.

With best wishes

Suzie