Advice please?

ladypeterpan

Advice please?

Post by ladypeterpan » Wed Aug 05, 2020 3:25 pm

Hi there. My daughter has the pleasure of social workers being involved due to an incident at her home. What I would like to know is, can she refuse to answer questions she feels are irrelevant to the case? I. E. Wanting information about her uncles birth father who they shall never have anything to do with nor have they? And can she question their ' plan' if she doesn't agree with some things they put in place? I. E. They have told her the 4 year old must sleep in the bedroom with her when she loves her own little room she had before? I'm so confused and as a mum I want to wave a wand and make this all go away 😩 tia

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Advice please?

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:10 pm

Dear ladypeterpan

Welcome to the family and friends carers’ discussion forum and thank you for posting. My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group.

I see from your post that you are concerned about children’s services involvement with your daughter at present. You have mentioned specific concerns about how the case is being managed by the social worker and what you daughter is able to do during the assessment that is being carried out.

You may find it helpful to read our advice sheets An introductory guide to Children’s Services; Child protection procedures

Firstly, you ask whether your daughter can refuse to answer questions she considers to be irrelevant. Whilst I can undertand your daughter’s and your own reluctance to respond to certain questions, since I do not know the full background or the social worker’s reasons for asking the question. Your daughter can, ask the reason why the social worker is asking a particular question and the social worker should explain. It may be that a disclosure has been made or there has been concerns about a particular person, if that person is likely to have any involvement with a child or children about whom children’s services have safeguarding concerns, they may consider it necessary to ask bout that person or persons.

You have not mentioned the plan that may be offered to your daughter but she can have a discussion with the social worker about any support that is being offered or what she is being asked to do. It may be that your daughter is not happy about something but if the social worker and other professionals involved believe it is necessary for the child or children, I would suggest that your daughter make her views known and her reason for refusing. I should point out that this could sometimes be seen as a failure to cooperate or work with professionals.

As I have said above, if your daughter objects to something for example, as mentioned in your post that her 4 year sleep with her, it depends on why this is being suggested and what concerns the social worker has relating to your grandchild.

It is understandable that as a mum you wish to help and support your daughter. However, there was an incident in her home that led to children’s services becoming involved with her family and, as such, they do have to carry out enquiries and investigate to ensure that the chld or children in the home will be safe.

I suggest that your daughter try to engage with the process by cooperating and being honest and open with the social worker. This is often helpful to have the best outcome for the family.

Should you wish to speak to an adviser you can telephone our advice line on 0808 802 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30 am to 3pm Monday to Friday (except Bank Holidays).

Hope this helps

Best wishes

Suzie