Lost on what to do.

nicebrit

Lost on what to do.

Post by nicebrit » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:28 pm

Since November last year I have been looking after my gd, bm moved out early November. Baby is on CP due to risk of neglect if baby goes back to her, so baby stays with me. They're calling this a private arrangement. I still don't have any Legal standing and baby has no Legal status.

Since January I've been told that if I get SGO , it won't be a negative one, it will be more of a supportive one.
And Childrens services are going to fund it.
Last week this all changed, I've now been told it could be a negative assessment. The viability assessment was done in January, I've over received an outcome or report. There has been no PLO since last CP meeting. And no care proceedings have been put in place as of yet. Nothing has been explained to me. My daughter still doesn't know whats going on.
I've been told information which is misleading. My daughter has never had full social care assessment, which is what she needs.

Does anyone know what could happen if I go for CAO with my daughter's agreement?

If I got a negative assessment can they just take baby away? everyone is happy with my care of baby, needs being met, reaching all her milestones.
Baby would have severe attachment trauma as I'm her caregiver.? I have emailed Childrens services with my concerns and they are looking into it.

But that still doesn't help me at present, because if anything happened to my daughter, the baby is not protected legally wise, and neither am i. This has gone on too long, I'm anxious and worried as we've been left dangling with too many loop holes in the system. And also the long term damage to baby 😒 sorry, I'm at my wits end and don't know who to turn to.

Robin D

Re: Lost on what to do.

Post by Robin D » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:39 pm

Hi nicebrit.

Welcome to the forum.

I really do understand your concerns. However I wonder if the local authority are simply parallel planning and looking at other options IF your SGO assessment turns out badly? It may be that an inexperienced worker has put it across badly?

You ask about a child arrangement order? There is of course nothing to stop you applying, but if the LA have real concerns, they may muscle in and commence care proceedings. Based on the limited information you have put here, I suspect though they would go along with a CAO provided they were satisfied that you were prepared to safeguard the child against the mum if required. There would be one real benefit though in that you would already be party to the proceedings if the LA decided on another course. If up to now this has been seen as a private arrangement, have there been any court proceedings at all? If so, I suggest you contact the court office and seek leave to become party. This means you get to see everything the court gets to see. However, some SW appear to actively discourage carers becoming a party, so I suggest you do not tell them until the application goes in. As the primary carer of the child, the court are unlikely to refuse leave to join. There is a fee to pay, but the court office will advise you better on that.

Hopefully this is of some assistance. If you are unsure, I then suggest you find a solicitor who is on the Children Panel and get a free half hour consultation.

Good luck ..... Robin
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.