SS Next Steps

aj456

SS Next Steps

Post by aj456 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:29 pm

Hello everyone - hope everyone is keeping safe!

To cut a long story short we've been in constant contact with social services regarding ongoing concerns since around January. Throughout the whole process (and rightly so) SS have told us that they cannot discuss the details with us but that we should just share information as soon as we get it.

Recently we sent a video and the worker has told us that they are extremely concerned with the behaviour of the childs mum and that they are escalating this to their manager, again they can't discuss any next steps.

We are so anxious and completely in the dark here about what the next steps could be, the mum is now aware of the report so our main fear is that if nothing happens we're never going to see the baby (who is my neice) again.

However, this is the first time that social services have asked for my and my wife's details to get a DBS check - is this good news? Why would they get a DBS check if they are not planning on doing anything?

I'm hoping we can just get all available options or what tends to happen when the case is escalated so we are not completely in the dark. Thanks!

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: SS Next Steps

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon May 04, 2020 5:09 pm

Dear aj456

Thank you for your further post. I am sorry that we have not responded to you sooner. I can see that you have been worried about your baby niece’s welfare for some time and you have let children’s services know what you are worried about – including sharing a concerning video with them.

As you are not the child’s parents children’s services are limited in what information they can share with you at this point. Although as you have referred concerns to them (the video) they should let you know what action they are taking in relation to this.

The way in which your niece’s case could escalate depends, in a sense, on what process children’s services are involved in and how seriously they are concerned so potentially this could mean moving from child in need to child protection or to care proceedings. It is not possible to say with limited information.

The social worker should have informed you why they wanted your details to apply for DBS checks for you. I think you should ask them to clarify this. It could be as the child is on a child protection plan and they are doing checks on anyone she has contact with or it could be looking into potential carers should her parents be unable to care for her. As the DBS information you provide is your own personal details you are entitled to ask and to be told what the purpose of the checks are.

I hope this is helpful.

Please do post again if you have any new queries about children’s services or if you prefer please call our Freephone advice helpline to speak to an adviser – 080 801 0366 Mon to Fri (except Bank Holidays) 9.30 to 3.00.

With best wishes

Suzie