Disagreeing with a decision

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:56 pm

Disagreeing with a decision

Post by LMJ47 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:52 pm

My grandson who is 5 came into my care 8 months ago as my son basically told me if I didn't take him he would put him in care which I didn't want that to happen. Cut along story short I have given up my job and moved house in order to give my grandson a loving stable home life. Due to my grandson being known to social services all his life. Since he has been in my care he has become part of a child protection plan. There has been no suggestion or alligatons that my grandson is been harmed or neglected in my care.
The social worker basically told me that the main reason for a child protection is because 18 years one of my other children were included in a child protection plan which was only for a period of 6 months then he was taken off. I am really angry that all this is being brought back up and used against me. The way I have been portrayed in the social workers assessment is appualing and does not bare any resemblance to the person that I am.
And also since he has been on child protection I have had to give up a 2nd job as I was told my friend \ neighbour was no longer allowed to babysit for me whilst I went to work. So I have now given up 2 jobs which is resulted in me being £400 a month worse off.

Also as I had to move house at my own expense in order to give my grandson a home. I want him to move schools because his school is almost 2 miles away and where we now live there is a school literally 2 mins walk away which all my neighbours children attend. I got my son to make an application for him to change schools. The local council contacted me and said that they would only approve this application to change school only if the chairperson of the child protection plan approves. I was of the understanding that any one with parental responsibility makes the descion as to which school a child goes to . Because my grandson is on a child protection plan does this mean that social services now have parental responsibility and my son no longer has it

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 662
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

Re: Disagreeing with a decision

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:33 pm

Dear LMJ47

Thank you for your post, I am sorry that it has taken me this long to respond to it.

Firstly may I tell you that local authorities only have parental responsibility for a child if it is granted to them in court: they can be granted a Care Order; an Interim Care Order; or an Emergency Protection Order. Child protection plans do not fall within that remit therefore your son and the child’s biological mother have parental responsibility for him not the local authority.

From what you write may I ask if your grandson is accommodated or whether you and your son have agreed ‘privately’ he should live with you. If your son is accommodated then your son may have agreed this with social workers in this case please read our advice sheet called Children looked after by Children’s Services under a voluntary arrangement and do refer your son to this advice sheet too. You may find our advice sheet about Child protection procedures useful as it will explain more about the process you are in. Our advice sheet Relatives and friends taking on the care of a vulnerable child in an emergency may be useful too as may this advice sheet about support.

If the arrangement for the care of your grandson is solely between you and your son then is a private arrangement. In this case Children’s Services may be informed of the new home of your grandson and his parents can make any decisions they wish in relation to him.

If you would like to discuss your family situation do call us on our confidential telephone helpline which is open Monday to Friday from 9.30am to 3.00pm on 0808 801 0366.

I hope this information helps.

Best wishes


Post Reply