Advice on special guardianship

Pennywell

Advice on special guardianship

Post by Pennywell » Mon Jan 14, 2019 7:03 pm

Hi I'm needing some advice, my granddaughter came into my care from 2 days old she is now 3 weeks, and I'm applying for special guardianship but I've just found out my granddaughters half brothers guardian is intent on applying too, what are her chances of a successful application? I'm the paternal grandmother

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Advice on special guardianship

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:09 am

Dear Pennywell

Thank you for posting on the family and friends carers’ discussion board and welcome.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group. I am sorry that it has taken a little while to respond to your post.

In your post you ask whether you would be successful in obtaining a special guardianship order for your granddaughter. This is a difficult question to answer since it will depend on several factors which the court will have to consider before making a decision about where your granddaughter will live.

Firstly, you will have an in depth special guardianship assessment which will make a recommendation whether you are a suitable person to have the long term care of your granddaughter and if it would be a good placement for her.

Secondly, and most importantly, if you are approved as a potential special guardian, the court will consider as a paramount factor the welfare of your granddaughter and what will be best for her long term. Although her half siblings live with someone else who is also seeking a special guardianship order for you granddaughter, the final decision will be based on what is best for your granddaughter.

Matters relating to sibling contact will be important as the court will want to know that the children will be able to maintain a relationship and bond. Your granddaughter is a new born so at present has no established relationship with her siblings and this may be a factor the court takes into account when making its final decision.

I am sending you a copy of our advice sheet DIY Special Guardianship Orders - information for family and friends carers which will give you more information about special guardianship orders including assessment. Although it refers to a do it yourself application this does not need to be the case as the information is general to special guardianship order.

You may also wish to read the advice sheet relating to Support for relatives and friends who are looking after someone else’s child

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie