Failed assessment - next steps!

Loz6635

Failed assessment - next steps!

Post by Loz6635 » Mon Jun 07, 2021 3:52 pm

Hi,

So me and my partner have been assessed to have my 2 younger brothers (connected persons). The assessor phoned us the other day and said she wasn't going to recommend us because she feels "it will be too much for is", but the rest of the assessment was positive. I've helped raise these boys since they were born when I was living at home, and I feel like me and my partner are capable of caring for them.
( just a little back story, I'm a nurse and my partner works with children/adults/teenagers and bikes. We've been together nearly 8 years)

I have a 5 month old baby and have been going through the assessment just fine and it hasn't really been stressful in itself, they've rearranged pretty much every visit and we have facilitated this.

The whole case has took longer because there's mistakes after mistakes, the panel and court date has been delayed due to the assessor mixing her dates up - even though we had completed the meetings a month in advanced. She also was suggesting that we dont need to go to panel just straight to the judge but the barister stated it has to be panel then judge.

She is sending me the assessment on Tuesday and any amendments that I want to do need to be done by 2pm Wednesday, should I of had longer to do this?!

I just feel like they don't know what they are doing, she also told me not to let my mom know that the assessment has been done or the result. I was told prior that the parents, court and SS would all see the assessment report??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Cupcake1

Re: Failed assessment - next steps!

Post by Cupcake1 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:16 am

So sorry to hear that your assessment was negative, mine also came out the same way. I totally understand how you feel with the constant delays, timetables keep changing etc. Hang in there though, read the assessment very carefully, your solicitor will help you form a response.
We are now going through an independent assessment as our 1st one was prejudicial and bias.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Failed assessment - next steps!

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:43 pm

Dear Loz6635

Welcome to the family and friends carers’ discussion forum and thank you for your post.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group. I see from your post that the person assessing you to care for your brothers has informed you that she will not be recommending you as a long-term carer. Were you being assessed to be a long-term foster carer or special guardian?

In your post you said have been told that it is too much for you and your partner. I think the assessor would have to say more than that as a reason for not recommending you. It is important that you see the report and read it through so you can see exactly what the concerns are and if, needed, support can be offered to you and your partner in respect of any issues identified as preventing you from looking after your brothers.

You can ask for any factual inaccuracies to be changed and, if, the assessor has taken things out or context or stated something which is completely the opposite of what you said or understood by her incorrectly. She can give a professional opinion which she does not have to change.

It correct what the other poster has advised; it is possible for you to challenge a negative report but you will need to see it to know how to proceed.

If you have a solicitor, he or she will be able to advice you about the report. If not, you can write to the court yourself to say you wish to challenge the report and why. It would be important to ask to be joined as a party to the proceedings if you are not a party now.

You may find it helpful to read the following about becoming a kinship foster carer:
https://frg.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2 ... rocess.pdf from page 11 paragraph 12 explains what happens if not approved.

For special guardianship please read this:
https://frg.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2 ... uction.pdf

The report will be shared with the other parties in the case and filed with the court. It may be that the assessor wants to finalise and file it with the court before it is shared.

I hope this is helpful but if you wish to speak to an adviser, please telephone our advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

Best wishes

Suzie