Failed assessment

Post Reply
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:28 am

Failed assessment

Post by Poppy » Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:37 pm

Where to start I came out of work today to a message telling me I failed my assessment for my grandson and to ring them to go over it really puzzled as last week she was telling me it was looking positive she just had to get her head around how I was going to mange my daughter and contact, I’m after any info on what happens next as I already have 2 sgo’s for my great nieces. Do I still get to go to panel to fight for approval.

User avatar
Suzie, FRG Adviser
Posts: 720
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:25 am

Re: Failed assessment

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:06 pm

Dear Poppy

Welcome to the Family and Friends Carers’ discussion forum and thank you for posting.

My name is Suzie, online adviser at Family Rights Group. I am sorry that it has taken so long for you to receive a response to your post, due to heavy workload.

I am sorry that you received a negative assessment which could mean that you are not able to care for your grandson.
It appears that you had a positive viability assessment but the more in depth assessment has not recommended you as a long term carer. You have asked what happens next.

Having read that assessment report, if you consider that there are errors relating to factual matters or that the assessor has reached wrong conclusion based on your responses, then you could ask for the factual inaccuracies to be changed. Also, depending on the concerns that have been mentioned in the report, regarding your ability to care for your grandson, you could ask whether support can be provided. You mentioned that the assessor said your assessment was looking positive but ‘she just had to get her head around’ how you would manage your daughter and contact.

It is not clear from your post the level of risk the social worker believes your daughter might pose to your grandson but you would need to show that you are fully aware of the risk and willing and able to put boundaries in place to ensure your grandson is not at risk. You may find it helpful to read this publication about managing contact.

Depending on the stage that the care proceedings have reached, you may be able to apply to the court to become a party to the proceedings and, if necessary, ask to be further assessed by in independent social worker. Both of these decisions will be made by the court and will depend on the timescale the court has set for your grandson. Sometimes, the judge will extend the time for the care proceedings which normally take 26 weeks, if it is considered necessary for the court to have specific evidence in order to reach a decision about the child concerned.

You may also find it helpful to read our advice sheets below
DIY Special Guardianship Orders - information for family and friends carers
Care (and related) proceedings

Should you wish to speak to an adviser, you can telephone our free confidential advice line on 0808 801 0366. The advice line is open from 9.30am to 3pm Monday to Friday.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes


Post Reply