Sgo and pool of perpetrators

Nannapb

Sgo and pool of perpetrators

Post by Nannapb » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:54 am

I'm currently undergoing an sgo assessment after a positive initial assessment that recommended the 2 children come to live with me. They was removed from my daughters care after her husband assaulted their baby.. there is a 4 year old witness to one assault causing broken ribs. The report has come back dating all injuries and the dates has placed me in the possible pool as I had contact over that period.. is there no chance I'll get the sgo now?
Cant believe they want to take my daughters children because she didnt know what her husband had done.. so many people was around the baby and even the doctor didnt notice she had injuries. Wr have a report that says that not being there for 60 minutes after fractured ribs can be mistaken for colic or teething. My daughter did take the baby to the gp with concerns over colic.. also cs dont seem to want to use the witness police interview stating his 4.. but the police said he was credible and are using it to charge dad with gbh. Will my daughter ever get them back

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Sgo and pool of perpetrators

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:09 pm

Dear Nannapb

Welcome to our discussion board. My apologies for not being able to answer your post sooner and for keeping you waiting for a response.

By now you may have heard from the social worker about your viability assessment and if positive you are moving forward in the process with the view that your grandchildren may be coming into your care. Here is our guidance on good practice when undertaking family and friends care assessments. If less positive you may want to ask to have a second assessment undertaken by an independent social worker. Our advice sheets about DIY Special Guardianship Orders - information for family and friends carers and Special Guardianship: what does it mean for birth parents? may be useful to you.

You have said that the injuries sustained by your grandchildren happened over time and that the social worker and other professionals are suggesting that your daughter ‘should have known’ that her children were being harmed by their father. Your daughter’s solicitor should be advising her how to proceed and if it is widely agreed through any fact finding process that she could not have done anything to prevent her children being harmed they may be returned to her care. This website Child Protection Resource has some information about non accidental injuries, it may be useful to you and your daughter as may our advice sheet Care (and related) proceedings.

If you would like to talk to us on our confidential advice line please call us on 0808 801 0366 the line is open Monday to Friday, 9.30am-3.00pm.

Best wishes

Suzie