Sgo assessment

Robin D

Re: Sgo assessment

Post by Robin D » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:55 am

Nannyloves2 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:23 pm Yes Edited out
Hi. Please go back and edit out your email address. You will get untold quantity of Spam if the boys find it. Please use the private message facility.

I've report ed it to the moderator so you may find it's already been edited out for you.

Best wishes ... Robin
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

Nannyloves2

Post by Nannyloves2 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:11 am

Thank you
Nannyloves2 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:23 pm Yes

Oaktree

Post by Oaktree » Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:23 pm

Is there anyone else out there that can help us please??

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:24 am

Dear Oaktree,

Welcome to the Friends and Family Carers Forum.
I can see that there are care proceedings in respect of your sisters 4 children as children services are concerned that they suffered non- accidental injuries. I am so sorry to hear this. I cannot imagine how difficult it must be for the family especially given the delay.
I can see that there has also been delay in some of the testing needed to ascertain whether the injuries could have been caused by a blood disorder. This is now happening thanks to your foresight.

I can see that the “fact finding” hearing has not yet taken place. You are right to say that decisions about where the children might live in the future will not take place until after the fact finding hearing. Only then will the court have a better idea as to how the marks occurred. Whether they might be due to an underlying health condition or even whether the court decides that someone caused them deliberately.

It is important to note that when a judge in a family court finds "facts"-it is based on a lower burden of proof than is used in the criminal court. So if it decides that there is no medical reason for the marks, it then might ask the question whether it “more likely that not” that the injury was caused deliberately? (In a criminal court the judge or jury would have to find “beyond reasonable doubt” that the injury was caused by someone).

This is a complex area of law. The Child Protection Resource explains what happens in the family court when non- accidental injury is suspected.

As an aunt you are being assessed to care for the children only if they cannot return to the parents.
So you would only get considered for a special guardianship order if the court ruled against the children returning to the parents. (However, you need to be assessed before so that further time is not lost in planning for the children).
The court would have to find that there is “ reasonable cause that the children suffered significant harm or are likely to suffer significant harm if they are returned home to the parents”.
So it is important that if this happens you can show you can protect the children against your sister. Many relatives fail an assessment because they just cannot accept that a parent “could” be a risk. So you need to show that you can step back and work with children services to protect the children against your sister, if the fact finding goes against her. It is really important that you have that conversation.
Have a look at our FAQ’s for relatives thinking of raising other people’s children

Our advice sheet about fostering assessments is also useful. It takes you through the different steps of an assessment and it gives tips as well. The SGO assessment will be similar. Please see page of our advice sheet 54 of our advice sheet about SGO's. DIY special guardianship orders .

I hope my advice and the links I give are helpful.

If you have any questions, please post back or call our free and confidential advice line on 07808 801 0366.

Best wishes,

Suzie

Oaktree

Post by Oaktree » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:13 pm

Hello Suzie,
Can you please private message me.
Or can you send me your email address.
Thanks.
Last edited by Oaktree on Sun May 17, 2020 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Oaktree

Post by Oaktree » Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:49 pm

Hi Suzie
We are also waiting for the results.
So we will then go forward from there.
Thanks.

Oaktree

Post by Oaktree » Sun May 17, 2020 11:05 am

Hi Suzie
Can you private message me please ASAP.
Thanks.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Mon May 18, 2020 9:23 am

Dear Oaktree

Just to let you know that I have sent you a private message as requested.

Best wishes

Suzie

Oaktree

Post by Oaktree » Mon May 18, 2020 1:17 pm

Hi Suzie
I'm not sure where to find the message.
Thanks

Robin D

Post by Robin D » Mon May 18, 2020 5:42 pm

If you look right at the top of the page, you should see your name and a tiny image of your avatar. Just to the left of that is an envelope. Click on that and the message should be there.

If not, touch the down arrow next to your name and take the User Control Panel. Then Board Preferences tab and then Global Preferences. Make sure that users can send you private messages.

Good luck ... Robin
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.