Bedroom space

FeeBee

Bedroom space

Post by FeeBee » Thu May 06, 2021 8:38 pm

Hi I wonder if someone can help? We have recently gone through viability assessment and CESC have placed our 14 month old grandchild in our care with the view of granting an SGO in our favour. The childs father still lives at home as does our youngest child (different gender) who is 14 years, we live in a 3 bed semi. Our grandchild is currently in our bedroom in a travel cot. Long term we will need a bedroom for the child. We have been awarded foster carers allowance but after paying for nursery fees as my husband and I both work full time, there is only a few pounds left but CESC are staring that we will be responsible for meeting the cost of any alteration to our home. I understand that if we were to be foster carers we would be expected to have a room available for the children placed in our care, therefore it is frustrating that CESC are not very forthcoming with support in this matter - do you have any suggestions as to how we can get help with this matter? Our lives have already been completely changed without having to plunge ourselves into debt to care for the child. Thank you

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Re: Bedroom space

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Wed May 26, 2021 11:51 am

Dear FeeBee

Welcome to the Board, I apologise for the delay in responding.

You have said that that you have raised the matter of bedroom space with the local authority but they were not forthcoming with information. The Government has set out Guidance relating to Special Guardianship, regulation 38 (d) seems relevant to your situation, you can read it here , see page 14.

It may be useful for you to have a look at your Local Authority’s Family and Friends Care Policy, you can find it here, within that policy they may have some information regarding ‘help with housing costs/issues’.

You may find our information for special guardians useful too, see our information here.

I hope this is helpful.

Best wishes

Suzie