New member help needed please

thiseldo39

New member help needed please

Post by thiseldo39 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:22 pm

Hi
Thanks for letting me join -

My question is in people’s experience during proceedings who has the most clout with the judge, the guardian or the social services.

Thank you TIA

Robin D

Re: New member help needed please

Post by Robin D » Tue Apr 02, 2019 7:30 pm

That's a difficult one, and I suspect you will find everyone here would give you a differing answer. In our experience of two big cases, ...... both because it can seem to also be affected by the sitting judge. It also can be very affected by which judge is sitting today.

There are also good and bad guardians and social workers.

At the beginning of proceedings, Children's Services seem to carry more weight, but once the guardian reports who knows! The guardian SHOULD be putting forward their view of the best outcome for the child, but one we came across churned out most of the SW's report verbatim!

Sorry to be so unhelpful, but it really does come down to the individual involved, plus of course the reason why its in court in the first place.
Former F&F carer, foster carer, adopter and respite carer for umpteen children. Now retired and when with kids, making sure they 'go home' at the end of the day.

Suzie, FRG Adviser

Post by Suzie, FRG Adviser » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:34 pm

thiseldo39 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:22 pm Hi
Thanks for letting me join -

My question is in people’s experience during proceedings who has the most clout with the judge, the guardian or the social services.

Thank you TIA
Dear thiseldo39

Welcome to the Board.

You do pose a difficult question which can only be judged on the individuals involved.

However, I can signpost you to guidance, Child and Family Court Advisory Support Service (CAFCASS) ‘About CAFCASS’ and the Department for Education (2014) ‘Court Orders and Pre Proceedings’ which may give you some insight of how professional work during proceedings.

I hope they are useful.

Best wishes

Suzie

El909

Post by El909 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:21 pm

I can only speak from experience with my granddaughters guardian/cafcass officer. She was based in Newport South Wsles where my granddaughter resided with her mother for about a year. Social services were really good there but so was the guardian. I believe it was the guardian/cafcass officer who had the bigger clout when it came to the judge. The courts appointed my granddaughter with the guardian who was also the cafcass officer. He most definitely listened moreso to her and the final report she made swayed the judge to go in favour of my son being given full custody of my granddaughter...