I am supporting a mother who has had her children removed. Complex background that I don't want to go into, but I personally know mum is a lifelong victim on many levels:
- She was serially abused in family as a child.
- Was abducted and raped at 14.
- Her most recent partner was a control freak and took complete control over every aspect of her life.
- Said partner was violent and aggressive.
- When mum lost it and fought back it, was in front of the children hence the removal. Partner now completely off the scene.
The issue is that the case is going very badly, and her solicitor (on legal aid) is not fighting her case at all. They are not challenging anything that comes out of the LA. Hearing's of course means that mum is only able to listen on the end of the phone. Contact still has to be supervised four months down the line, yet she has done nothing to give any indication that she would actually harm the children. (They are good adoption material!)
If mum sacks her solicitor, can she replace them on legal aid? If yes, what is the process please? Or is she stuck with the one she has even if she has lost all confidence? I don't think mum is up to becoming a litigant in person so leaving her without representation is not an option.
Any thoughts or suggestions please? This is quite urgent. The case was listed for mid March, but I understand there will now be a delay.
Best wishes and stay safe.